YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a thread so we can share our experience leading up to race. Baja 400/500/1000 on hold until we/I get more experience stateside.

BITD Vegas to Reno entry fee paid and we are # 499

The race is mid August and planning has been going on since February because I am new to this. All I can say, if all goes well, next year will be so much easier AND cheaper. I would like to do multiple events next year, we'll see how this one goes.

Silsby has been a great help along with many on these forums.

Thanks!

MX

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ready to get out there and breathe some silt! Can’t wait to get into a serious distance race and see how it goes.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I live and train in Miami so not expecting to be too caught up in the heat.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Stay hydrated leading up to the race !!! And during the race.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. This thread will be a bit boring for a couple weeks. Later this month is when I should be able to start posting photos. I will try to get a list of parts going, I suppose that is kind of fun. All the typical things you guys know about.
What's probably more interesting is the logistics and stats and what's in our backpack besides fluid bladder.
Anyone feel like doing some precise fuel testing? I am trying to figure out miles per ounce of fuel at fairly wide open throttle.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, I will get gift certificates for a couple members who do fuel testing. Let me know if any of you want to do us a favor. For once, we will finally have a fairly well averaged fuel consumption number.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I’m definitely tuned in on this!!!
Guys done desert xc before?
Where you located?
I ride Johnson valley (open desert) often.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I’m definitely tuned in on this!!!
Guys done desert xc before?
Where you located?
I ride Johnson valley (open desert) often.
First quad race ever for me.

We're counting on Silsby to send it and bring home the gold!

I am near Denver. Silsby in Florida. Where is Johnson Valley?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Both you guys going to be on 450’s?
Fuel injected or carb bikes?

530 miles for your first ever quad race?

Yes Florida has some heat, very moist heat, going to be a extremely dry heat in august(unless it monsoons) great weather in early mornings at late night but between 10am And 5pm is another story.

Honestly sound like a blast just not in August. Lol

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
We will be going so fast, we won't notice the heat lol
I am more worried about grip strength and holding on late into the race. I have proven record in other sports with regard to going the distance. When I say "proven record", I am not saying I am awesome, I just know the deal and shouldn't have to hit a porta potty a few miles in.

We are sharing the same quad, fuel injected. We will each do 2 alternating runs or something like that

·
Super Moderator
3,967 Posts
I'm liking this thread! Post tons of stuff and if I can help let me know! MX_599 are you using Matt's bike or yours?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'm liking this thread! Post tons of stuff and if I can help let me know! MX_599 are you using Matt's bike or yours?

Mine is still a WIP bike at the moment lol. Also, driving from Miami to Vegas with a quad is not fun. Brian is a bit closer than I am.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts