YFZ Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok....no laughing...i was riding around at my buddies where he has a spot in his yard. little did i know my water pump was weeping/pouring. well after all fluid is gone my temp light comes on. i figured all this crap out and i had a 3 mile ride home. so i let it cool off, ran it as far as i could until the light came on. then id shut it off and coast until it shut off then id pop the clutch and itd roll over and id be off. well i got home. she was clicking....what did i do? and how much am i screwed?... :disgust :disgust

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I would venture to guess that there is some significant damage done. The fan doesn't come on until somewhere around 220*, which is very hot, and by the time the light comes on, she's pretty toasty. If you did this a few times, without coolant in the system, the oil takes all the heat and breaks down. The first step in your troubleshooting should be to take the plastics and fuel tank off, pull the spark plug and timing plugs, and (try to) turn it over by hand (with the trans in neutral). If it's difficult or impossible to turn over by hand, you either destroyed the main bearings, rod bearing, or seized the piston in the bore. I'd bet that it's the rod bearing or the piston in the bore. All of which are easily accomplished by running a machine with no coolant. Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Well, the noise is probably not in the top end. If the valves wear, they get tighter, so they don't tick as noticeably, although it could be the piston or piston pin making the noise. If it's making more noise than usual, you may have excessive wear on your rod bearing, but there's no real accurate way to measure that or inspect it without tearing down the engine-- at least removing the top-end. Then at least you can look at the big end of the rod. One thing you can check is compression. This will give you a general idea of the condition of your piston, rings and valves.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If it was completely dry running with no coolant, you probably just voluntarily killed your valves, possibly damaged the rings and piston. Cracked cylinder head? Your best bet was to fill up radiator with water, and go as far as it would let you while at your buddy's... Hope it isn't too bad.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
started it and the tick stopped but i was wondering if i should hear air release while starting it? when i let off the starter i hear it. it could use a rebuild anyways

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.