YFZ Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , I'm needing to replace my valve cover gasket/seal on my 07 yfz due to leakage, just wondering if I need any sealant for the gasket or does it go straight on? Also are the gaskets all the same size on every year? Thx

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yes, you need some sealant. I think Yamabond of some kind but not sure which one. Every year of carb model should be the same. Not sure if the EFI models interchange or not.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Service manual says yamabond or equal. I don’t remember if I used 1211 or anything at all.whoops lol. I know ther wasn’t much on there too clean off when I took the cover off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I ended up using yamabond, now I have an issue , when I go to put the the cover back on there's a gap which causes a leak , no matter how tight I I do the 2 top screws it seems to not press together enough!! It's like the gasket is too thin (obviously not)

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Yeah I ended up using yamabond, now I have an issue , when I go to put the the cover back on there's a gap which causes a leak , no matter how tight I I do the 2 top screws it seems to not press together enough!! It's like the gasket is too thin (obviously not)
Take it off and do another application of a gasket maker?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Did you let the gasket maker dry before starting it up?

·
Registered
477 Posts

No you don’t need sealant. Although a small bit in each corner will help keep the gasket in place while you put the cover on. The two bolts on top are not supposed to exceed 7.2 ft/lb. You either tightened them to far and warped the shaped of the cover. Or at one point your engine got so hot that it warped the shape of the cover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts