YFZ Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i checked my valves the other day and my exhaust side was in spec, .008"

but my intake were this:
i couldnt quite fit .004" but .003" was loose fitting. I've rode my quad 3 times since then, only about 45 minute rides. Kinda a dumb question but i just wanna make sure, should it be okay until my valve shims come in?

they should be here tomorrow (tuesday) but they may be later.
The reason i had to order them is cuz the only size i needed they only had one lol and i need 3

also, there is a 181 in there right now, YFZ450 #69 told me that i should put a 175 in, is this okay?
not sayin hes wrong but just makin sure.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You measured these cold right? Tolerances are 0.0039" and 0.0059"

Disregard my advise in this post. Please see my post(s) below..

So it sounds like you're on the tighter side of things but it sounds VERY close. I'd say hold off, but then again I always err to the side of caution. In reality you could probably get away with it.. If your shims are going to be in tomorrow, why risk it?

I dont have a 181 listed in my chart, but if you've got a 180 @ <.04" of clearance it would suggest a 170 shim..

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (JustDSM @ Feb 16 2009, 06:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747206
You measured these cold right? Tolerances are 0.0039" and 0.0059"

So it sounds like you're on the tighter side of things but it sounds VERY close. I'd say hold off, but then again I always err to the side of caution. In reality you could probably get away with it.. If your shims are going to be in tomorrow, why risk it?[/b]
yea, it was dead cold.

YFZ450 #69 told me the tolerances were .004" to .006" which isnt a big difference IMO

my frends, when they first got there 450's (their twins lol) they went about 8 months without a valve set. They finally got it done when i got my 450 cuz the guy that sold me my quad really emphisized valves, and adjusting them.

and i went today cuz im SUPER bored. I never revved it up or anything very much, if that helps.

im not 100% sure they'll be in tomorrow, i've been waitin for a case saver for over a month now. Parts Canada and Motovan have been backordering stuff alot.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Actually, now that I re-read what you wrote, I agree with the 175 pad.

I accidently mistook your measurements for milimeters and it was throwing me off.. Lesson learned to READ what the hell I'm responding too.

I think you'll be just fine with the 175 pad YFZ450 #69 suggested.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (JustDSM @ Feb 16 2009, 06:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747220
Actually, now that I re-read what you wrote, I agree with the 175 pad.

I accidently mistook your measurements for milimeters and it was throwing me off.. Lesson learned to READ what the hell I'm responding too.

I think you'll be just fine with the 175 pad YFZ450 #69 suggested.[/b]
haha

okayy thanks man

as for the riding, do you think it will be okay for a few more days and maybe a half hour ride or 2?

·
Registered
240 Posts
QUOTE (YFZER359 @ Feb 16 2009, 06:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747222
haha

okayy thanks man

as for the riding, do you think it will be okay for a few more days and maybe a half hour ride or 2?[/b]
I'm not going to be the one to say "Yeah! Go rip it up!" and have you come back with a post saying "JustDSM suxors!".. Technically they are out of adjustment, but you're really close to spec. So you're probably good to ride, but that's a call you're going to have to make and accept the risk and consequences of that decision.

Does that help any? LOL

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (JustDSM @ Feb 16 2009, 06:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747225
I'm not going to be the one to say "Yeah! Go rip it up!" and have you come back with a post saying "JustDSM suxors!".. Technically they are out of adjustment, but you're really close to spec. So you're probably good to ride, but that's a call you're going to have to make and accept the risk and consequences of that decision.

Does that help any? LOL[/b]
lol yea it does.

but my frends went 7 months without a valve set and nothing went wrong lol i think a few days just barely out of spec is better then 7 months completely out of spec.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (2fast4uracingxc @ Feb 16 2009, 09:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747300
can you post that in mm you lost me but sounds out of spec[/b]
im not sure what they are in mm

i remember .25mm for some reason tho lol i dont know what measurement it is in inches

and i know there out of spec, i was just asking if it would hurt it much to ride with just the intake ones a lil outta spec

re-read the first post i made lol

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
as I understand, the only reason there ARE specs is because once there is no gap, your valves will be held open, and wont get compression making the engine not start.. does it do anything else?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (Joester @ Feb 17 2009, 07:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747677
as I understand, the only reason there ARE specs is because once there is no gap, your valves will be held open, and wont get compression making the engine not start.. does it do anything else?[/b]
nope, she runs like a top! lol

i believe my shims came in today so i will do my valves tomorrow. I might be goin to my buddys house this weekend so i might do them there.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
QUOTE (Joester @ Feb 17 2009, 07:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747677
as I understand, the only reason there ARE specs is because once there is no gap, your valves will be held open, and wont get compression making the engine not start.. does it do anything else?[/b]
the reason there are clearances are to allow for heat expansion and running clearances.

once the gap is gone and the valve starts to not seat properly it will cause accelerated wear of the valve and/or seat....not to mention poor performance

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (YFZ450 #69 @ Feb 17 2009, 08:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747690
the reason there are clearances are to allow for heat expansion and running clearances.

once the gap is gone and the valve starts to not seat properly it will cause accelerated wear of the valve and/or seat....not to mention poor performance[/b]
well she runs awesome. The clearence like i said before were: .004" couldnt fit but .003" was really loose fitting, not that far outta spec

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts