YFZ Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I jus traded one of my street bike for an 10 yfz 450x and I was riding it on trails and a guy was telling me I needed get valves adjusted cause u can hear a lil ticking noise..is this a pretty easy fix and cud it b something more serious

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also was riding and it has a new battery and cranks fine except after riding for awhile it wouldn't crank until it cooled off for bout 30 mins..a guy on trails said his use to do the same thing after he rode for awhile

·
Registered
592 Posts
Probably is your valves. More than likely on the tight side(thin gapped). If too tight, heat expands, and makes them worse... Get a shim kit, and go for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would it hurt it to ride a time or 2 more on the trails until I put it up for winter cause they close Jan 1st and then wud take to a shop or shud I goa ahead and have fixed right away

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anybody know if it would hurt the four wheeler if I rode it if the valves needed adjusted..I don't think its bad its jus ticking a lil and I was told it was valves but guy I bought from said they was just done and shud b fine that its a four stroke and it ticks a lil..I gonna ride this weekend but don't wanna do ne serious damage..thanks for info

·
Registered
265 Posts
It's not best case scenario, but you won't damage anything. I had a Raptor 660 that I rode several times with the valves so far out of spec that the only way to get it started was to push start it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I still think there is a possibility that it's not your valves. I have a 2010 X and mine did the same thing. The bike got hot and when I shut it off it wouldn't start again until it cooled down. I changed the fuel pump relay and haven't had a problem since.

Could also be a faulty fuel pump. Use the search function to do more research. Some 09/10 models had problems with these that would cause this issue.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Cranking or starting? Not cranking sounds like crank bearing issue or starter. Not starting would be fuel or valves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.