YFZ Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried changing to different camshafts in their YZF yet? I'm told beginning in 2003 the YZ450F and WR450R had different camshafts. Prior to 2003, they shared the same camshafts, but used different timing on the exhaust side.

·
Registered
869 Posts
hopefully we will be trying some different camshaft combos in a couple of weeks I will be sure to keep you all posted. FDO just got some more ponies out of a stock yz450f by just degreing the cams in correctly!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Mickey Dunlap posted this on Exriders:

"The 470cc yfz came out better than I thought it would. I put the 450 motorcycle cam in it to keep the decompression unit in the right place instead of advancing the stock one. We are using the White Brothers slip-on with meg and a few holes in the top of the air box with a 168 main jet. We bored it out to a 98mm piston with 12.39:1 over the stock 11.975:1. We barely bumped the compression so we would not have a problem stalling and for some reason it actually made it better than stock as far as stalling. Now we have power from 0 rpm's up to the rev limiter. The power is smooth yet really pulls hard - can be lugged down in 2nd and 3rd gears just like the 500EX except that it pulls quicker and harder throughout the rpm range. I am very surprised that this motor has turned out this way and shows great potential for being the top quad this year. Of course, we have lower the pegs 1-1/4" and raised the handlebars 3" with the GPR stabilizer and the Houser steering stem. We also have the Elka shocks on it which lowered the machine another 2" and a few other odds and ends that have brought the machine together very well."

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by cjpoole1@Aug 27 2003, 06:31 PM
I put the 450 motorcycle cam in it to keep the decompression unit in the right place instead of advancing the stock one.
I hate to sound like a dumbarse, but what exactly does this mean? I know a lot of people are doing the stock cam mod, but is there an advantage to buying the yz bike cam instead?

·
Registered
625 Posts
when you rotate the stock cam you alter the point at which the decompression pin works.

I put the YZ450f cam in before we went to the dunes and if you have an extra 100 dollars sitting around I would highly suggest doing this over the cam mod. The low-end power is SO much more noticeable now and you can lug the shit out of it and it just pulls itself up.

·
Registered
625 Posts
the cam comes with the gear on it. Basically what you when you pull the exhaust cam on your YFZ to do the cam mod, just imagine that whole piece being the exhaust cam with all the bits and pieces. I paid 108 at Magnolia Yam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts