YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so this might sound silly and this is my first post but had to get some other opinions on it, i got 04 yfz with pipe, jet kit, been jetted, k&n air filter . . .. me and dad just talking bout using clutch and he was telling me that once i get out of 1st gear ( basically once i get going ) that using clutch is not necessary. ive rode manual fourwheelers several years and ALWAYS use it, the way i figure is, if u aint gotta use it, why is it there? lol anybody NOT use there clutch while riding. granted we were talking bout trying to figure out a way to hold on a little better ( i.e while racing real fast on track or going up powerlines) i wanna find some way to hold on with 2 fingers while clutching with other 2, lol ., any thoughts or helpful ideas / tricks . . . PLEAsE helpp thanksss ;)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
welcome to the site!

to answer your question, i NEVER shift without the clutch, when you do that, its forcing your engine to immediately be the same speed of your tires (which it cant) and so it puts alot of load on the gears and whatnot. i SEVERELY recommend using the clutch ALWAYS! I know i do.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
I personally use it to take off, and when i feel im about to stall out.

other than that it is not needed

If you dont feel comfortable with not using it then by all means go right ahead and use it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Stix1107 @ Feb 26 2009, 11:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=751550

If you dont feel comfortable with not using it then by all means go right ahead and use it.[/b]
yeah kinda what i was feeling, you ever had any problems with not using one. ? " burning the clutch up "

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
QUOTE (Stix1107 @ Feb 26 2009, 10:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=751550

If you dont feel comfortable with not using it then by all means go right ahead and use it.[/b]
I agree with Chance. This is exactly what I was gonna say. I use mine to start off, and whenever I need to lock up the rear brakes. Other than that, I never touch it.

I got my '04 YFZ in August of '03 and have been riding that way ever since. I race MX, I'm still running the stock clutches, and I've never had a single problem because of it. Last time I split the cases on my engine, all the gears and shift forks looked new so I don't think it has hurt anything with my YFZ.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
yeah, not using the clutch will burn the clutch out less... cause you dont use it. but your transmission will thank you alot with a long life

·
Registered
261 Posts
Been riding since 99-00. Never used it. Never had any clutch problem, from big bored Hondas to my 04 YFZ. Never had any clutch problems or transmission problems. I think its a most reliable way.

Only down fall is you have to learn to use it. Sometimes if u let off the gas all the way, it doesnt wanna down shift, so i dont let off completely. Youll see what i mean. You can feel it when it doesnt go in gear. I lose count of what gear im in a lot also, because im constantly going up and down so quickly lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks a lot guys. ima try not using it once i get rollin so hopefully it'll work out for me like with yall. thanks for input and keep it coming

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
On another note, I learned that when I don't use the lever after first gear, my arm pump is reduced throughout a race as well, that is a big plus for me!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd say maintanence is key. On my 600RR at the track I start missing gears when shifting without a clutch and on worn out oil - which is my fault. After I change the oil its like butter. Same on my four wheeler. I cover the clutch with 2 fingers for launches and situations that might stall the motor. Other than that I hardly use the clutch to shift. I use it more for wheelies and to get instant wheel spin when needed than I do for shifting. I've broken parts before, but never clutches or gears. Keep the oil changed and learn how to blip the throttle and your set. I think its the only way to ride fast.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i read on a yamaha site that are trannys where design the same as the yz dirt bikes , they can shift full throttle , no clutch ... I only tried this once , and it worked great .... seems crazy though

·
Registered
116 Posts
Actually on the yfzs it is harder on them to use the clutch it wears grooves in the basket. But really its up to the rider if you dont mind a new basket every few years.

·
Registered
277 Posts
When I first learned to ride I often forgot to use the clutch and decided it wasn't necessary most of the time. Don't force it to shift and you'll be fine. If it doesn't want to slip into gear then use the clutch, eventually you'll learn when you can and can't get away w/o using clutch. Same thing goes for cars, I always pull my mustang out of gear without using the clutch but I don't take any chances putting it back into gear.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
yeah, i think thats how we all treat mustangs =P

·
Registered
37 Posts
Personally for me it doesn't matter if I use the clutch or not on the up shift - the shift speed is the same and I only use my middle and index to pull the clutch. Downshifting I don't use the clutch since the engine is already winding out and it'd be the same exact strain if I were to use the clutch to begin with. All about preference and proficiency.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i always use my clutch and when i try to power shift when racing it does shift gears so i just always use it and sometimes it wont go into first i have to let the clutch out a little then it goes into first

·
Registered
432 Posts
When riding on pavement I always use the clutch, but in dirt, sand and mud I don't use it. I also got the ASV shorty levers so that I can only use my index and middle fingers to clutch with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts