YFZ Central banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on getting a pro design type set up and am wondering which one is preferred. I live in PA and will ride all dirt track and some coal hills. If I get the K&N I will put an outerwears on it. So is it worth the extra cost or should I save some and go with a Uni. Thanks. Mike R. :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
I love the K&N's becuase they're so easy to clean and maintain in comparison to foam filters. All you do is spray the cleaner on, wait ten minutes, wash it out, let it dry, and then spray some oil on. I just installed the Alba adapter kit with a K&N on my YFZ (HMF, cam mod), and the power increase is definatley significant. And when you're filter is easy to clean, you're more likely to clean it frequently.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i like foam, i noticed my old k&n filters were letting dirt past them, so that didn't work well for me. i currently have the pro flow kit and like it very much.

C

·
0 Posts
Foamys all the way! :rock

That damn K&N did my blaster in, cause i didnt clean it often enough.

also if you get a little snow or wtaer in a foam, you can ring it out! VERY NICE, TRUST ME I RIDE WET WOODS ALOT! :rock

Can even tell the dif between the two in performance!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys. Uni it will be. or Has anybody run the Sparks air filter set up? Im assuming its the same as the rest in design. I will have to give Woodard a call and get a combo price. Thanks again. Mike R

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I like foam better also.
The last post like this everyone liked k&N better and I had to stand up for the foam.

I love the K&N's becuase they're so easy to clean and maintain in comparison to foam filters. All you do is spray the cleaner on, wait ten minutes, wash it out, let it dry, and then spray some oil on.
That is exactly the same way I clean my foam air filters.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
i like K&N myself........ w/ an outerwear, i havnt had ANY dirt pass through cleaning it regularly on all my quads and it flows more air that a foam

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am going to go with the foam. I have the Pro Design with the Uni, and am very pleased. I have had many friends who have had K&N filters on the bikes and have problems with dirt pass through, even with regular cleanings.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Most of the people I have talked to at the tracks around here also say to stay away from the K&N as it tends to let dirt past. I have heard that from racers as well as shops here locally.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Since most of you say that foam is better, why not just stay with your stock foam filter. I made my own intake and I can use the stock fliter set up or a k&n with or without the air box. I've been running the stock set up with the screens out and it runs so good right now I don't know if I even want to put my k&n on the thing.

·
Registered
479 Posts
any pics and info on how you made the intake?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by Clutch123@Jan 24 2004, 08:39 PM

That damn K&N did my blaster in, cause i didnt clean it often enough.

Your problem is self explanatory and shoud not be used for anyone when deciding on a filter.

I have used K&N's on everything I have ever owned and never had a problem.

Put an outerwear on the K&N clean it regular and enjoy the performance.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't have a digital camara and if I did I wouldn't know how to use it. I'll try to decsribe the best I can.
parts: 1- 1 1/2" to 2" cooper/steel to plastic stainless steel no hub band
1- 2" 22 degree all hub fitting
2- 2" 22 degree hub to street fittings
1- 2" x 4" all rubber fernco cupling
6 inches of 2" pvc schedule 40
1- can of pvc glue
1- 8" x 8" sheet metal.
6- sheet metal screws
First thing I did was cut a jam piece 1 1/2 inches long with a chop saw or hand saw. Then bevell the edges good so the pipe rests inside the 22 degree fitting tightly inside the hub with the chop saw or a grinder but don't glue it. Then place the other end of the jam piece inside the 2" pvc side of the no hub band. Take the other end of the no hub band and place it on your carb. Then take one of the street 22 degree fittings and place the street end(end that fits inside the hub end) and place it inside the 22 degree fitting. Then cut another piece of 2" 1 1/2 inches long, bevell the edges and then place it in the hub end of the 22 degree fitting. Now take the last street 22 degree fitting and take the hub end and place it over the jam piece of 2". Secure the no hub band to your carb but not the plastic side so you can move it. Now you have to turn each fitting so it curves around your shock then turns almost perfectly straight back to where your air box is located. Once you get your angels right then mark the fittings and then glue them together lining up your marks. Then grab your air box. Where the intake hooked up knock out the rivits that holds the adapter that mounts the stock air filter inplace. Then you will need to make that huge hole a little bigger. Make it big enough to get the street end of the 22 fitting inside your air box. Once your air box is inplace make marks on the outside of your air box closest to your carb to make it easy to line up for your hole. Now take your sheet metal and trim it to fit inside your air box covering the hole. Using the marks take a hole saw or something to cut out a hole to slide your street end of the 22 degree fitting threw. If your make your hole a little big thats ok cause you can use duct tape to cover it from the inside. Silde your air box in place and bolt it down. Now take the 2"x4" fernco. cut the 2inch end down to where it has about a 1/2 inch left sticking out. Take the 4 inch side and cut it down to fit inside the back side of the adapter that your stock filter mounts to. After getting a nice fit take silicon or equivelent and seal the fernco to the adapter on one side then take sheet metal screws and screw the sheet metal screws to keep it permanentaly in place. Now screw your stock filter on. Take the adapter with the 2" end and slide it over the 2" 22 degree street fitting. It's a tight fit. Now you can use either your stcok filter or a k&n. You can also take your air box on and off depending on conditions and still run either the stock filter or the k&n. An after market k&n will have to have a 2 1/4" opening to mount to the 2" street 22 fitting. Hope that helped. If your wondering how I cam up with this, I'm a plumber and was bored. I also seen another post where a guy made his own intake and thought it would be even better to use either the stock filter or k&n with or without the air box. I'm surprised a company hasn't made an intake with an adapter to be able to do this. Or I atleast havent seen one yet. If anyone needs any help let me know.

·
Registered
98 Posts
:nono K&N ALL THE WAY MAN!!!!!!!! Accept no substitute!
I've ran them in ALL my bikes & cars & trucks! EASY to clean FLOW WAY more air!
NEVEEEEEEEEER had ANY dirt in ANY engine! But CLEANED reg! Most people who had dirt past through never CLEANED them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just added the Alba pro flow kit with the K&N w/ the rest of my mods. I FELT a BIG differance after install!

·
Registered
304 Posts
i go with foam. had foam in my dirtbike and had no problems and just got a uni foam for the quad. i perfer foam!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sparks racing sells an excellent foam setup that comes with the new aluminum adapter and the foam filter is about twice the size of the stock one for optimum airflow. I am very pleased with mine. I liked it over the uni or prodesign because its larger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts