YFZ Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the stock twist throttle from the 450 dirt bikes work on the quad. I want a twist throttle but I don't really want a plastic one. I want some thing that will with stand a crash Like the aluminum stockers on the bikes.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
There was a long discussion about this here quite some time ago. You might be able to find it.

I bought a used YZ426 twist setup and installed it. From my perspective, Merriman paved the way. I did everything he did to aquire and install the twist.

In retrospect, I might have been better off not installing the second cable that goes with it. It seems uneccessary, but it looks like it came from the factory.

I was able to position the twist grip so the cables go under the front brake lever, futher protecting the cables from damage in a rollover.

Short together to two wires going to the TORS sensor in thumb throttle housing and you should be all set!

Also, this twist pulls faster than any I can remember. I wished for a while that it didn't open the carb so fast, but I've gotten used to it and have no complaints at this point.

·
Registered
503 Posts
i've got a motion pro one on order, but second guessing putting that one on. I really want one that opens a bit slower and not just a tap of the wrist for wide open. I think the CR one is better for that and not the vortex. not sure which i have coming honestly. Second reason i was interested in the YZ one was because of the second cable. even though it isn't necessary it's a failsafe to pull the carbs closed in the event they were to stick. just a replacement for disabling the tors system if you remove the thumb throttle.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I have had my motion pro on for 3 months now and love it. I got the Vortex cause it is kinda like an on/off switch but you can buy the CR pull one which is a little longer throw.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I've had both motion pro twisties.. cr pro and vortex..

I preferred the quicker turn twist especially when riding through some rough terrrain after exiting a turn. With the slower twist my wrist angle would be too low from a full rotation for WOT and not
appropriate for a good strong grip. I found that a quicker turn would have my wrist/arm angle in the best position when twisting to WOT. I also have no problem riding at a more leisurely pace with the quick turn in comparison to the slow turn.

One negative I've noticed of the single cable action twists is that when it drops down to 20 degrees F, the grease under the plastic twist on the handlebar becomes thick and doesn't allow quick return of the throttle when you let off. This could be resolved with a different lubricant or as I've noticed.. after several minutes of use things warm up.

I did check the stock OEM yamaha YZ twist and that was not as quick as the vortex.. closer to the CR pro.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts