YFZ Central banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post. Picked up my YFZ two weeks ago and love it!! I'm looking to replace the thumb throttle with a twist. Does anyone know where I can pick up one of these? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Bumping this back to the top......

I need to put one on asap....I can't handle the damn thumb throttle. after 4 laps my "thumb" doesn't work anymore.

What all is needed.

I see that the twist throttle has 2 throttle cables, do we have to run both, or just one?

What about the electrical junk in the thumb throttle housing, what do we do there?.....remove it, and tape it to the frame, unplug it? let it flop around? what?

Also is the carburetor on our yfz's the same as the yz 400F, 426F, and 450F? so if I had a yz426F throttle assembly would it work on my YFZ450?

How much does a new one cost? any part numbers?

I'm going to the yamaha dealer today to see what I can come up with. I will post what I know then. Thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
Welp, QUAD CROSS YFZ450 has already done this. Here are the part numbers. All you do is connect the pull cable through the original hole on the carb and then drill out the other bit where the push cable goes through. I do not know how he bi-passed the electrical thingie on his. Also the carb on these is the same as the WR carb but they have a 100 pilot air jet versus the 70 pilot air jet on the WR.
isaac

5BE-26240-00-00
5BE-26281-00-00
5BE-26282-00-00
98507-05020-00
5SF-26287-00-00
5TA-26302-01-00
90387-225N2-00

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Part Number#-------------Description---------------Price on Partsfish.com

5BE-26240-00-00--------GRIP ASSEMBLY------------$15.78
5BE-26281-00-00--------CAP, GRIP UPPER----------$16.54
5BE-26282-00-00--------CAP, GRIP LOWER---------$17.38
98507-05020-00---------SCREW, PAN HEAD--------$0.32 ea.
5SF-26287-00-00--------COVER CAP GRIP----------$6.35
5TA-26302-01-00--------THROTTLE CABLE ASSY.--$39.80
90387-225N2-00---------COLLAR----------------------$6.72

=============================TOTAL=$103.72

PartsFish link for prices: http://www.powersportspro.com/oempartsearch.asp

yamaha microfiche page www.yamaha-motor.com click on part-service, then scroll down menu click on parts catalog, then WR 450F

I'm not sure where else to look up prices for those part numbers so cheaper places would be great.

Edgerat: what is that last COLLAR for? I didn't see that part number listed on the throttle assembly, or the carburetor side?

Motion pro should have one out soon, I heard that they already do, and it's about $66.00, but it may be on back order.
Hope this helps, I'm probably going to go this route, just because I don't like Motion Pro's products, and have more faith in OEM equipment.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I am not sure if the collar is the little thing that sits under the brake lever perch or if it is part of the throttle. That is just all the parts from that side of the bars. Bob at Magnolia yamaha can get you a better price on all those parts. he quoted me a price under 100 dollars.
Isaac

·
Registered
33 Posts
On the electrical, I connected both of the wires off the thumb throttle to make it work. Because the bike would not rev out until I connected them. You don't need the collar, I didn't use it on mine. I've had it for three weeks and haven't had a problem with it. :woo

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
HEY!!!

what did you do on the Carb side? did you have to drill it out? how did it connect in the inside? any other special parts, or was all able to snap together? I'm going to be buying this asap, and would love to know everything before I take on this task. Pictures would suuuuuuuure be nice... :lol :lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes I did have to drill it out. You do not need any special parts for the inside, everything hooked up fine.

Go to the image gallery, w/others. You'll see a good picutre of the carb on Kory's bike. I can't seem to get the picture attached to this email...sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Well, I was looking through the part numbers for the other 4-stroke yz/wr bikes, and the throttles are universal(same part numbers). The only thing that is different are throttle cables themselves. So I just bought a 2001 yz426F twist throttle off of ebay for $40.00. Mine is coming with the throttle cables too, so I will be able to see if those cablles will work. This may be the cheapest route to go for the twist throttle.

There is also a guy selling billet throttle tubes for 30.00 bucks to replace the cheap plastic one.....

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Well I just finished mine today. The 2001 yz 426F throttle and cables fit perfectly, so I would venture to say that they are all universal. On the Carburetor I'm not sure how QUAD CROSS got away with only drilling a whole, cause the throttle cables come complete, with the nut attached, so I also cut a slot in the side of the carburetor to fish it through. It looks just like the bottom throttle hole now. The fit and finish is real nice, and there is no lag in the cables, or throttle housing. If you want a twist throttle, this is a good way to go. I bought my twist throttle complete off of ebay for 40.00, which is cheaper than the motion pro set-up. But beware you'll need to perform some surgery on your carb to make it work. I will post some picture of what I did to make it work later today.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts