YFZ Central banner

Trying To Find Unkown Sound

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  zadjali 
#1 ·
I have a problem with my bike since i bought it, its a second hand bike.

I get some type of chain rubbing sound at hillshooting or when am on fifith/fourth gear and the speed is low for it to be on fourth or fifth gear. I don't get the sound at normal driving.

I checked the chain and its not lose.

my bike is 2007 model, Do you think its the time to change my chain?

What do you recommend me to check?

#4 ·
the chain and sprockets naturally make noise as they come in contact with each other... are you sure that isnt what your hearing? just natural chain racket?

also, your head tends to make a noise similar to what your describing, but you usually only hear it when the seat and air box lid are off, so that probably isnt it...

any chance a bearing is starting to go and your hearing it grind out?

#5 ·
QUOTE (leveldrummer @ Mar 13 2009, 11:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=757368
the chain and sprockets naturally make noise as they come in contact with each other... are you sure that isnt what your hearing? just natural chain racket?

also, your head tends to make a noise similar to what your describing, but you usually only hear it when the seat and air box lid are off, so that probably isnt it...

any chance a bearing is starting to go and your hearing it grind out?[/b]
Check your water pump bearing, we had one making noise like that but it didn't leak. and that was on an 08 with about 20 hrs on it

#7 ·
QUOTE (leveldrummer @ Mar 13 2009, 09:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=757368

any chance a bearing is starting to go and your hearing it grind out?[/b]
it does not sound like the natural sprocket and chain contact, it is louder than natural contact.

not sure how does a bring sounds on bikes, on cars when the bearing is about to go it whines. i will have a look on the bearing.

i don't think its from the head, the sound is mostly right under the seat or behind, nothing from the head side.

#8 ·
QUOTE (climb-101 @ Mar 14 2009, 12:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=757453
Check your water pump bearing, we had one making noise like that but it didn't leak. and that was on an 08 with about 20 hrs on it[/b]
I will check it out tomorrow, i think mine has 50-60+ hours on it, not sure how many hours the previous owner did put on it. i drove it around 31 hours since i bought it.

#9 ·
QUOTE (Sidewinder @ Mar 14 2009, 12:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=757456
What does the chain roller on the swingarm skidplate look like?[/b]
It looks normal. Yesterday i lined my bike with my friends bike and i compared between my chain roller and his chain roller and it looked the same and nothing abnormal. I will take a picture of the roller and i will post it here.

#10 ·
hey dont worry when in high gear and your going slow the chain tends to slap skidplates or other parts making noise thats not kool. next time it happens just pick the pace up a little and it will go away

#12 ·
QUOTE (08yfz45031 @ Mar 14 2009, 01:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=757479
hey dont worry when in high gear and your going slow the chain tends to slap skidplates or other parts making noise thats not kool. next time it happens just pick the pace up a little and it will go away[/b]
When i down shift the sounds disappears on straight lines, for hill shooting even if i down shift that doesn't work it gets louder haha. In hill shooting i get the sound at greater heights not from the beginning of the hill.

p.s: i get it only at the dunes, on road i don't get that sound even with high gear and am going slow.

#14 ·
your chain DOEs look really loose in the pics.

#15 ·
I had a weired grinding sound from my chain also. It happens mostly in 3 gear just cruising with light acceleration. It gets really loud if I slam on the front brakes and decelerate real fast. Kinda like chain chatter, but it sounds like a bad wheel bearing.

I checked my chain roller also and it seemed to be fine. My bike only has about 6 hours on it.

I thought mine was maybe from the timing chain, but I can't identify exzactly where the sound originates.

#18 ·
Replace that skid plate :) or take it off for a moment while you are on the dune and see if the sound will go away, that skid plate looks tweaked as if the chain would rub on it while the swing arm moves up and down.

#19 ·
QUOTE (YFZ450Lynx @ Apr 24 2009, 10:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=773452
Replace that skid plate :) or take it off for a moment while you are on the dune and see if the sound will go away, that skid plate looks tweaked as if the chain would rub on it while the swing arm moves up and down.[/b]
Hey.......... I was going to say that. LOL

#21 ·
I removed the skid plate and went to the dune, the sound is still there, but today i tried to identify from where it comes. I think the sound is coming from the middle at left side but am still not sure about it.

I asked guys at the dunes about it and they said most of them had it when the bike was new and some still have and get it from time to time.

Any other suggestions? would a bad front sprocket can cause this sound?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.