YFZ Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I were talking and he asked me this question and I don't know the answer. Does anyone know if I can get a triple rate spring for my stock YFZ shocks? If so how much would it be and is there an advantage to it? Especially if I were to revalve my shocks at the same time? What's the advantage of triple/quad rate springs and why don't they use them on motorcycles? I weigh about 160 lbs. with my gear on and the shocks beat me up and I have my sag set and everything, it's about as light as they can go. Would it be worth it to do all that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Beating you up could also be a sign that they are set too soft. I've never heard of anyone doing quad or tripple rate springs on the YFZ, I believe the shocks are too short for that. The only company I know of that does revalving and springs for the stock shocks is DeRisi Racing. DeRisi has two dual rate kits though, one is a zero preload set up.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by Mustache Ride@Feb 7 2004, 09:27 PM
DFR in phoenix does rebuilds.

www.dfrracing.com <---i think thats the site.
nope....... its www.dirtfiendracing.com ......... but u cant turn the stockers into triple rate..... dual rate only from derisi..... and jmayer...... it is just a shock w/out any preload to let you have more sag (i dnt really know the techincal difference) :rock

·
Registered
651 Posts
I am by no means an expert on shocks but this is my take on it.
a zero preload/Self sagging devise (ZPS/SSD) spring takes up some of the travel at ride height. This also puts some more of your travel above ride height. This lowers your quad giving you better control in cornering and also aids in suspension under various conditions example:
ON A ZPS EQUIPED MACHINE- when you are on the gas, your front end is light but... you still have controll on the front because the suspension is increased above ride height.... that smaller spring is now soaking up some small stutter bumps... while keeping your front end down to aid in steering control- Your rear is soaking up the squat but still leaving plenty of usable travel.

The more springs you add(triple/quad) the more each spring soaks up various rough conditions. Giving you a more plush ride and a more efficient travel.

Generally on a quad rate shock- an additional ZPS spring has been added
( the lightest spring). You are gaining more of what I call the 'pillow effect' -those real small ruts and holes are not felt thru the handle bars anymore, they are soaked up completely. This also continues down through each spring-meaning that the bottom spring is for the heavy/hard landings.

The more springs you have, the longer the shock needs to be. You are gaining more efficeint travel by having a longer shock and the different rate of springs.

I personally felt that the quad rates were a little squirley at high speeds. They were hard to dial in for all conditions due to the fact I think I had too much travel. but they definatley were the smoothest ride. I ride strictly MX so do not read into my opinion too much. I believe that they are better suited for cross country style riding though.

I hope I added to your understanding-not confusion :wtf

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. That actually made a lot of sense. I too ride MX and don't plan on doing anything with my shocks, I was just trying to become educated.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
In addition to what YFZ#43 said, I think ZPS is intended for jumps, like on an MX track. Lets say your ATV had 12" of suspension travel. With ZPS, your ride hieght might be around the 6" mark. This would mean if you hit a bump, you'de have 6" of susp to soak it up. By contrast, launching off a jump, once you're airborne the suspension would fully extend and you would land using the full 12" of suspension. The advantage being you'd have a lower ride height for cornering, while still having full suspension travel for landings.

I suspect ZPS is a disadvantage during hare scrambles and desert racing where you need added ground clearance and you need to soak up any big bump that jump out at you unexpectedly.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by RPyfz450@Feb 11 2004, 01:10 PM
In addition to what YFZ#43 said, I think ZPS is intended for jumps, like on an MX track. Lets say your ATV had 12" of suspension travel. With ZPS, your ride hieght might be around the 6" mark. This would mean if you hit a bump, you'de have 6" of susp to soak it up. By contrast, launching off a jump, once you're airborne the suspension would fully extend and you would land using the full 12" of suspension. The advantage being you'd have a lower ride height for cornering, while still having full suspension travel for landings.

I suspect ZPS is a disadvantage during hare scrambles and desert racing where you need added ground clearance and you need to soak up any big bump that jump out at you unexpectedly.
hes correct...... u lose no travel when u adjust ur ride height..... no matter what, the shock still has the same amount of travel.... the ride height adjustment is to help dial in ur shocks for certain tracks as to where it be rough, or sumthing like that also.... the lower u r, the more ur springs are already compressed giving you a stiffer ride.... just my .02 :rock

1 - 12 of 12 Posts