YFZ Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but can not find anything substantial. What are the advantages of disconnecting your TPS on the YFZ? When disconnecting does anything else need to be done in relation to this? THanks guys.

·
Registered
140 Posts
From what I have read the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) has two purposes.

1)-It is a part of a safety feature that shuts of ignition if it senses that the carb slide is stuck open at a higher setting than what the thumb throttle is asking for.

2)-It senses the throttle position and advances the ignition timing as the throttle is opened.

Some say that running full spark advance right at idle is a perfomance improvement but others will argue that you lose power by doing so. I have heard more say that you lose power but without a dyno sheet or someone with some good hard facts... I have not tried disconecting to see what the difference is.

I would like to know more too. anyone else?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never disconnected one on my bikes. My new quad that was built for me has it disconnected and the thing starts like crap. So if it's as simple as plugging her back in I'm going to try it. Sounds to me like Full advance at idle and low RPMs would cause harder starts.

Terse???

·
Registered
14 Posts
I too cant find any info on this. Only thing I found was to not remove or adjust the TPS or youll be sorry. No further explanation. Well I took the TPS off my carb when removing it to re-jet before I reallized i could just unplug it. Can anyone explain the proper way to get it adjusted right after I put it back on, or if it can just be unplugged as stated above.

·
Registered
642 Posts
QUOTE (196RACING @ Mar 2 2009, 09:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=753235
I too cant find any info on this. Only thing I found was to not remove or adjust the TPS or youll be sorry. No further explanation. Well I took the TPS off my carb when removing it to re-jet before I reallized i could just unplug it. Can anyone explain the proper way to get it adjusted right after I put it back on, or if it can just be unplugged as stated above.[/b]

Why would you be sorry? So apparently the guys at Sparks are stupid and are selling junk that degrades performance?

FYI, if you just unplug it, it doesn't help anything. You want the hotter fuel map, so you need to either splice wires or by the plug.

I'm not saying that things don't change with new information and research, but a few years ago, everybody was either putting in the bypass plug or splicing the wires together to improve performance.

http://www.alwaysopenmall.com/layouts/02/u...RelatedItemID=0

·
Registered
14 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts