YFZ Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..... I am going to be doing the cam mod soon.... but there is one problem... I have been looking around for a torque wrench to get the 7.2 ft lbs required for the cam journey bolts but I can not find any. Can you guys tell me what kind you are using, where you got, how hard they are to use, and what you paid for it.

Thanx guys..... any help will be appreciated...... Please respond quickly because I am so anxious to get this done and feel the power gains! Thanx again!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Craftsman, makes a decent torque wrench. Either the beam style or the clicker. Hey, it's not a Snap-On but it get's the job done. Stay away from the harbor freight and Northern Tool and Equipt. stuff- whatever you save may cost you more in the long run....... IMO

·
Registered
836 Posts
Good deal for the money......

beam style #44978

When I need something under 10 ft. lb. I use an inch lb. wrench. It's a little easier to work with, in confined spaces.

"Buy the good stuff, and cry once"

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So whic one would be better for the ''cam mod''? The one that i posted or the 44987 that you posted?? Is that one that you posted inch lbs.... all you have to do to convert from inch to foot lbs is divide by 12.... correct?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yeah, the math is good. The one you picked out is great. The beam style get's you in for less money-but still accomplishes the job. If you got the cheese, for the more expensive one-get it. I try to spend the most on the tools I will use the most. In this case, you will need to take a few things into consideration. Quality, accuracy, frequency of use and last but not least-what you can afford. I do think for $90 that is a good value. And , no the one I reffered to was ft. lb's.

In short, I wouldn't use a $4.99 torque wrench to do a cam mod on a $7K quad........

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx for your help!! I am going to order that $90 one right now!! Can't wait!! Does it just click.... and then you know when to stop?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yeah, read the destruction's. It'll tell you what to listen for. Practice on somthing clamped down in a vise, a few time's. Torque is an elusive demon at time's. It only takes a pinch over to shear or snap off sometime's. I go really slow when torquing bolt's and nut's.. Then I go back, and recheck just to make sure. When torquing cover's and such with numerous attachment point's-always work in a criss cross pattern-to pull the cover or plate down in short increment's. Help's to stop warping and binding of interference machined parts. Good Luck-let us know how your mod go's.

I'm sure more people would attempt mod's, but feel intimidated. We need to hear from everybody, about their stories of sucess as well as blunder's. That's why were all here-common interest.

"Knowledge is Power"

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how many ft lbs do you think it would take to strip the threads out?? Just incase sombody over torques them??

·
Registered
836 Posts
It all depend's on which material is harder. The piece you are torqing, or the material you are applying the torque to. Doe's this make sense? Tensile strength....... It may only take a 1/2 lb. of ft. torque to shear a given material. So there's a rason that they give you torque spec's in the manny....

·
Registered
4 Posts
be aware that they are only good for 75% of there number value. cant use the first 12 1/2 or the last 12 1/2 of the wrench

also anything under 15ft lbs you should use a inch lb wrench designed to goto zero .

always set your wrench back to zero when done .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts