YFZ Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was doing some winter maintenance on the engine, popped it out and tore the top end down just to make sure everything was wearing alright and nothing to excessive, so turns out my timing chain guide was split on both edges, and worn down to the metal.

What could cause this? I'm thinking it was maybe the timing chain was to tight? I did put hot cams in it last summer but I couldn't see it cause this.

Please help

·
Registered
858 Posts
The cam chain tensioner has to be retracted in with a small flat blade screwdriver when you install it. Once it is bolted on the motor, it needs to be released gently to put tension on the cam chain tensioner. As the chain wears, the tensioner will extend out keeping proper tension on the chain, but it cannot be pushed in. So, if you don't retract it upon installation, you can put enormous strain on the cam chain and wear right thru the guides. Maybe this was the case with yours?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I agree^^

Hopefully you didn't do to much damage to the rest of the valvetrain. You will need a new chain and tensioner as well. I wouldn't skimp on those parts since it clearly has been worn harder than it should. Hopefully the cam towers aren't demolished.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If the chain guide is worn to metal, I would make it a point to check the oil pump screen, all that plastic from the guide can clog screen and restrict oil to motor

·
Registered
55 Posts
If the chain guide is worn to metal, I would make it a point to check the oil pump screen, all that plastic from the guide can clog screen and restrict oil to motor
I agree^^

Hopefully you didn't do to much damage to the rest of the valvetrain. You will need a new chain and tensioner as well. I wouldn't skimp on those parts since it clearly has been worn harder than it should. Hopefully the cam towers aren't demolished.
The cam chain tensioner has to be retracted in with a small flat blade screwdriver when you install it. Once it is bolted on the motor, it needs to be released gently to put tension on the cam chain tensioner. As the chain wears, the tensioner will extend out keeping proper tension on the chain, but it cannot be pushed in. So, if you don't retract it upon installation, you can put enormous strain on the cam chain and wear right thru the guides. Maybe this was the case with yours?
My understanding is you retract the tensioner before you remove it, then after install you turn the screw clockwise and it releases the plunger applying tension on the chain.
how can i clean the oil pump screen. is taking it apart the only way ? is there another possible way ?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Taking it apart is the only way I know of

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.