YFZ Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as some of you might remember I ended up getting my girlfriend a Suzuki LTZ400. We got a good deal on it and put another $100 into it. She likes the bike but really just likes the ergo of my 07 YFZ better. So.....I set out on a mission to find a good deal on her one. Found a guy that has a 06 that looks to be in nice shape, looking at pics so far. He bought it from a friend that bought it new and put a big bore kit on it/stage blah blah cams, etc and spent quite a bit of money. This guy got it and pulled the big bore kit and cams out but but left the rod (said he wanted a stock bike) He put a used jug on it, new piston/rings and put it back together then saw he left out the timing chain guide so pulled it back down. When he put it back together he rode it 2 hours and HG let go (he said it still will run but whistles). Figured this happened because he torqued the gasket then tore it back down and then put it back together. Anyway he wants to trade me straight up for the LTZ400. The YFZ also needs a starter. Ive got less than $1000 in the LTZ should I swap him? I hate buying things where people have been inside the motor....what should I look for? Im always worried when people mess with cranks/rods/pistons and change it that they got the wrong combo back in there and well you know what happens. Sorry so long just dont want to make a dumb choice and my gf be out a bike!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Bring your starter and a battery and ask if you can install it to make sure it runs. I had a guy try to sell me a yfz. He said it needed a starter. When i got there it had no battery on it. So i tried jumping with a booster pack. Nothing happened. I could hear it was seized up. I had a feeling this was the case so i asked him for half of what he wanted to sell it for. Just a heads up.

Be ready to check the head and jug for flatness before you just throw a gasket on. If they are not flat, you can send it to a shop to get it machined straight. Just make you you get thicker gaskets to compensate for what was machined off. It's extra work but you won't be spending too much money if the only issue is a blown head gasket.

If it runs good, I would be up for the trade, even if it need a little work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sounds sketchy... lol I wouldn't trade, especially if your LTZ works fine. Those 400's are good bikes. I understand she wants the yfz but you gotta find something better. I would wait till you find a guy who has it garage kept and just doesn't have time for it any more, there are plenty of those out there. Just keep you eyes peeled 8|

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That LTZ would bring $1500 around here. You cant touch a clean, garage kept YFZ for less than $2500. Yeah you can find some that need work but there $18-22. I will have $860 bucks in the YFZ just so yall know. Thats what I have in the LTZ. I dont like the LTZ either....its like riding a school bus compared to a YFZ. Im not trying to justify the trade just telling the facts.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bring your starter and a battery and ask if you can install it to make sure it runs. I had a guy try to sell me a yfz. He said it needed a starter. When i got there it had no battery on it. So i tried jumping with a booster pack. Nothing happened. I could hear it was seized up. I had a feeling this was the case so i asked him for half of what he wanted to sell it for. Just a heads up.

Be ready to check the head and jug for flatness before you just throw a gasket on. If they are not flat, you can send it to a shop to get it machined straight. Just make you you get thicker gaskets to compensate for what was machined off. It's extra work but you won't be spending too much money if the only issue is a blown head gasket.

If it runs good, I would be up for the trade, even if it need a little work.
I dont see it running in tip top shape with a blown HG. Am I missing something. He told me we could pull start it if I wanted.

·
Registered
168 Posts
yeah you want to start it somehow. you just want to make sure the crank isn't seized. That will cost a lot more. It won't run perfect and if the exhaust is leaking into the coolant passages, you might be blowing coolant out the reservoir. But you just want to make sure you don't have any base engine concerns. Run it through the gears to make sure the transmission is okay.

Sounds like a good quad from what you are telling me. You can always tell when you go look at it how the quad was treated. If it is kept in good shape and only has that one concern, you might have a good deal. Just ask a lot of questions!

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you feel like its a good trade then go for it! Ill never say no to someone buying a yfz haha. Not sure how sales are in your area but here in FL you can squeeze more money for a ltz . I got 2200 for my 05 400ex last year with no problems. Go inspect the bike and if its good and you got a good feeling then jump on it! good luck

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you feel like its a good trade then go for it! Ill never say no to someone buying a yfz haha. Not sure how sales are in your area but here in FL you can squeeze more money for a ltz . I got 2200 for my 05 400ex last year with no problems. Go inspect the bike and if its good and you got a good feeling then jump on it! good luck
You can buy 400ex's here all day long for $1500. There is a guy selling a nice 400ex around here thats had it for sale for several months for $1200. Think its an 04.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.