YFZ Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right kids, I found another one... $25 :O for the TerryCable thumb throttle. Really cool... I've got'm for sale at $60 :lol each in blue, red, black and polished. Get'm while you can... :evilgrin

Ha! Joking... :lol I just went and picked up the TerryCable thumb throttle for $122. I have to say that I'm not that impressed.

The build quality of the housing is good, much lighter and has a smaller profile then the stock one. The unit does have a lever return spring but is useless due to the carb spring strength. The throttle lever actually sits a little further down beneath the grip then the stock. The lever length is just a tad longer then the stock version, not enough to be noticeable.

Installation was simple except for the TORS switch. I ended up disconnecting the wire and removing the switch. I then soldered a bridge across the remaining connector (wiring harness), filled it with liquid tape and was done. this is a cleaner way of doing it but time consuming. It does make it easy to return to stock though, remove the liquid tape, desolder and slap the connector back together. Other then the TORS the install is straight forward, take one throttle apart and reassemble backwards with the new one. Done deal.

Dislikes:
1. The full throttle stop adjustment is nothing more then an allen screw. It has to be secured with lock tight rather then a locking nut. Would it have killed them to do it the right way?
2.They painted their darn logo right on top of my pretty red anodized aluminum. That sucks...
3. The lever is not long enough. I would have hoped for a little more length, similar to cascades replacement lever.
4. Improvement over stock is mostly cosmetic, at least on first glance.

I haven't been able to ride with it yet but I can tell it is smoother then the stock unit. I think Cascades replacement lever would be a much better choice though. Maybe I can get a cascade lever to fit this??? Then it would be pretty and functional... Maybe Moose is better, not sure they look the same to me...

Conclusion:
Don't waste your hard earned money on a new throttle body. Just be smart and replace the lever and buy yourself a tootsie roll...

·
Registered
983 Posts
You had me going for a sec there buddy :lol
thanx for the low down, dude. im glad i went with the cascade lever.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Better then it was, but not worth the price. Go with the Cascade lever instead. It's cheaper and looks nice t'boot...

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Originally posted by Amergin@Jan 23 2004, 07:46 PM
Better then it was, but not worth the price. Go with the Cascade lever instead. It's cheaper as will and looks nice t'boot...
:stupid

·
Registered
374 Posts
I was getting ready to whip out the credit card and go on another adventure. :lol

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been playing with the location of where I mounted the throttle. closer to the brake perch vs. the grip. I found that removing that black plastic spacer (BansheeBob credit here) and sliding the throttle closer to the brake perch helps.

This throttle operates extremely smooth compared to the stock unit. You can really feel the stock cable and how crappy really is. I pulled the cable and found that the bend just below the bar clamp where it turns towards the carb is fairly sharp. When I had the cable out and running straight I found the it was is easier to push. I wonder if upgrading the throttle cable will help? That's my next step. Ultimately it's the carb causing all the mischief.

Blasted, it does look nice and is better then stock. Not enough to justify $122. There's way better looking bling out there for that price...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts