YFZ Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some on asked for a step by step to get the shocks apart for cleaning. so i took some pics as i put mine back together. so here is a quick easy write up.

first, unlock the lock nut up top, and screw both nuts up the shock body until they get easy to screw by hand.
then you can remove the shocks (its easier to break the nuts and spin them while they are still mounted) screw the nuts all the way off the top of the threads till they are loose.

flip the shock over, and push everything down towards the reservoir, the rubber bump stop should slide down to open access to the inner shaft.

once you can see in there, this large retainer will slip off the shaft, once its off, everything will just slide up and off the shock.

the rear shock is the same way, the only difference is that the retaining washer is a large thick washer that splits in the middle, you take it out the same way though.

hope this helps anyone trying to get that last bit of dirt out of their springs, or anyone that wants to powder coat the springs.

this is as far as you can go with out the proper equipment to service a shock.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
thanks leveldrummer, i was thinkin of cleanin mine and i was gunna ask if someone did it

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you can take the springs off. Is there any special tool that youd need to install a spring kit from say GT Thunder, dual rate? Do you need a spring compressor to get the factory spring back tight enough for the the bottom ring to thread onto the shock? If you can assemble it by hand, i dont see why it would be much harder to get a dual rate spring kit and just install them yourself? Unless you wanted a revalve.

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Dustin Barger @ Feb 9 2009, 10:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=744406
If you can take the springs off. Is there any special tool that youd need to install a spring kit from say GT Thunder, dual rate? Do you need a spring compressor to get the factory spring back tight enough for the the bottom ring to thread onto the shock? If you can assemble it by hand, i dont see why it would be much harder to get a dual rate spring kit and just install them yourself? Unless you wanted a revalve.[/b]

yes, you can get dual spring kits, each one is probably a little different, but most can be assembled just this easily. the cross over is where it would be tough, some work different then others.

you dont need any spring compressors, the threads stick up over the springs just enough to get the first nut started.

·
Registered
203 Posts
QUOTE (Dustin Barger @ Feb 9 2009, 07:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=744406
If you can take the springs off. Is there any special tool that youd need to install a spring kit from say GT Thunder, dual rate? Do you need a spring compressor to get the factory spring back tight enough for the the bottom ring to thread onto the shock? If you can assemble it by hand, i dont see why it would be much harder to get a dual rate spring kit and just install them yourself? Unless you wanted a revalve.[/b]
This post explains all you need to install a dual rate spring setup.
You will get an extra spacer to go between the two springs and probably one or two crossover collars for tuning the upper spring.
You won't need a spring compressor.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Awesome. I may just get the spring kit from GT Thunder and do it myself. I wouldnt think it would be that difficult, save me 170 bucks and the quads down time.

gtilley45, i understand it doesnt use the stock spring for the dual rate kit. Just used it as a reference.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
anyopne know how to install a revalve kit?

i want the race tech revalve kit but i dont want to open a can of worms by doin it myself. And about 4-500 dollars is a lil stiff for my dealer to do it. Anyone?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm bordering on angry about trying to get a Race Tech kit (s). I have taken apart a shock, and if you take your time and follow the numerous detailed tutorials available in magazines/online it's not that bad at all. Take your time, work clean. I've sent the company a quote request directly, asked my local shop, and shopped around online. I can't find but one vendor for the rear, and NO ONE sells the front kits, even though I know they exist. It's almost like they don't want me to buy them. This worries me. If a customer tried this hard to find any decent aftermarket product, they'd be on 9 mailing lists and getting coupons every other day in the mail, especially during these times. I'm still doing my research, but as good as the idea sounds I think there's something shady about it.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
QUOTE (JimmyHoffa @ Mar 19 2009, 06:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=759848
I'm bordering on angry about trying to get a Race Tech kit (s). I have taken apart a shock, and if you take your time and follow the numerous detailed tutorials available in magazines/online it's not that bad at all. Take your time, work clean. I've sent the company a quote request directly, asked my local shop, and shopped around online. I can't find but one vendor for the rear, and NO ONE sells the front kits, even though I know they exist. It's almost like they don't want me to buy them. This worries me. If a customer tried this hard to find any decent aftermarket product, they'd be on 9 mailing lists and getting coupons every other day in the mail, especially during these times. I'm still doing my research, but as good as the idea sounds I think there's something shady about it.[/b]
I know the Race Tech Gold Kit is good cuz my buddy put one in his LTR and they are almost as good, if not better then my other frends Elka triple rates. And the revalve/re-spring is only dual rate. I was just wondering how hard it is to install one cuz i want one lol. What about the shock oil? And shouldnt any oilfeild/fab shop be able to fill nitrogen?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ya I just had a local industrial gas supplier pump mine up, and no issues! Checked the PSI with my air chuck for my compressor and a dial head gauge, and it was dead on. It's a pretty simple process. That's good to hear that the Gold Valve kits exist in real life and also actually work. It gives me hope...

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
QUOTE (JimmyHoffa @ Mar 19 2009, 07:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=759864
Ya I just had a local industrial gas supplier pump mine up, and no issues! Checked the PSI with my air chuck for my compressor and a dial head gauge, and it was dead on. It's a pretty simple process. That's good to hear that the Gold Valve kits exist in real life and also actually work. It gives me hope...[/b]
yea. I'm going to get mine from parts canada. they have the revalve and re-spring for both rear and front shocks

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm moving to Canada. The Parts Unlimited catalog only lists rear revalve kit. :icon_bolt:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.