YFZ Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
If you're going to keep the stock arms, why not just get the stock shocks re-worked? It's a good budget solution.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Honestly, you’re gonna get 50 different opinions on which shock is best.

The reality of it is that any manufacturer has about the same chance of providing a good setup on whichever shock you choose. If anyone says a brand is best, they almost never have evidence to back it up. Anecdotal evidence is not valid anywhere, especially not with suspension.

I would stay away from the cheaper Elka and Works stuff unless you plan on having them sent straight to a shock builder when you get them.

Out of the box, PEP and Stadium are usually the most accurate setups.

Fox needs a little work but are extremely capable.

Axis has a solid reputation and for a reason.

Elka stage 5 are a great shock. Elka just has a reputation of sending great shocks out the door with shit setups.

Motowoz are usually pretty close but the ones I’ve dealt with didn’t have as many adjustments as others.

Revalves are something I would consider since you aren’t going long travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Following my above post, any top tier shock setup by a good builder will be better than any shock that isn’t setup by a good builder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
IDK anything about a 2020 YFZ. If your stock shocks have a can and can be refurbished, hit the guy up at shockxworks in trenton, mo. your're looking at at 200-300 per, plus freight, tuned to your weight, riding style and race class. yamaha builds a damn good machine, the parts are good to go for the weekend rider, just get them tuned for you. 5k for shocks is a waste of money, don't do it! These guys build shocks, dual spring/rated fronts and rears for your weight, you're done for 750.00,best ride ever

·
Registered
123 Posts
IDK anything about a 2020 YFZ. If your stock shocks have a can and can be refurbished, hit the guy up at shockxworks in trenton, mo. your're looking at at 200-300 per, plus freight, tuned to your weight, riding style and race class. yamaha builds a damn good machine, the parts are good to go for the weekend rider, just get them tuned for you. 5k for shocks is a waste of money, don't do it! These guys build shocks, dual spring/rated fronts and rears for your weight, you're done for 750.00,best ride ever
Waste of money? That’s crazy. Nobody winning championships on stock shocks with any tune.

That’s just asinine. I’ve never once been on a stock shock that can perform like a top tier shock.

Dual, triple, quad rate springs all sound cool, but one is not better than the other. Your shock builder selects number of rates based off a lot of things.

For that $750, you can buy a set of used Evols.

For what it’s worth to everyone else... when someone says a shock is “tuned to your weight, riding style, and weight class” they don’t know what they’re talking about. They read that shit somewhere.

You know what else they actually should tune to? Tire size, arm leverage ratio, rider position while riding, average regional temperature... list goes on and on. But that’s for those who know what the hell they’re doing.

Don’t act like a subject matter expert if you aren’t. Never know when someone is gonna come in and check you on your bs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
tfaith08, while I do agree with your point that shocks & suspension do win championships I don't agree with wasting money if you're not competing for one.
As for a base tune for a shock, I did read that somewhere, the forms that I fill out when ordering shocks along with conversations with the builder, couple of examples.
I did mis-type "weight class" I should have just stated "type of riding", that's on me. When I read the original post I took it as a recreational rider looking for a cost effective upgrade to improve the experience and safety when having "fun" not a podium placement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For those of you that see this on your phone, the ShockworX form may not load.
tfaith08 is correct with the final tuning for the rider and bike.
What riders need to grasp is that purchasing shocks (New or used) need a baseline to start with. What’s your weight? How do you ride? What type of riding are you planning to do? This will get you a baseline shock that you can follow up with the info tfaith08 suggests.
Think of it as a chassis out of plumb, if it’s outta square from the start, nothing added is correct.
You have to have a constant to start, otherwise you’re chasing your tail

1 - 8 of 8 Posts