YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i was riding my buddys raptor today and he has the top of the line ohlins shock set up. front and rear. i noticed that his suspension was way smoother everything i did!! :angry !! so i just thought i would ask everyone wut you think??? and if you have changed suspension to what kind and how does it compare to the stock..
:D any comment is greatly apreciated :)
thanx

·
Registered
869 Posts
I had DeRisi Racings millinium revalve kit put in mine. the feel much better. they actually feel better than some very expensive aftermarket shock that I have bought for my EX. The DeRisi kit is relitivly inexpensive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
one word.....elka...
i have the triple rate piggy backs on the stock a arms and the thing handles insane

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
TCS is for the not average but not pep type rider..... theyre for sumone inbetween the skill of those two...... i hav heard elka valves a little on the stiff side and axis is way overpriced IMO.... im going to go w/ pep, but take ur pick.... theyre all better than stock

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
the stock shocks on the yfz are pretty good for being stock. If you inexpensive replacments look towards works. If you want the best buy nothing but AXIS. you want proof that AXIS is best look at the top riders in the nation, all on AXIS. they are expensive but they are worth every penny.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Originally posted by gnc_118@Nov 18 2003, 02:52 AM
the stock shocks on the yfz are pretty good for being stock. If you inexpensive replacments look towards works. If you want the best buy nothing but AXIS. you want proof that AXIS is best look at the top riders in the nation, all on AXIS. they are expensive but they are worth every penny.
i do beleive motowoz is better than axis...but there shop burnt down...and PEP ARC's are better than axis..1600...and i do beleive thats what Mr. ellis runs

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I must of misread you post, I thought it said "top" riders not pro riders. But keeping on the "top" riders shocks, heres some more :lol :lol :blah :blah

PEP

Elka

PEP

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I haven't tried motowoz before but i heard they are pretty good. the top contenders have been elka and axis, I have heard of a few elka's having problems last year so we shyed away from them. I do know that Axis sales more than doubled from 2001 to 2002. By the way cjpoole1, just because it looks like a PEP on the outside doesn't mean that it is a PEP on the inside. I know of several pro riders that are paid by certain shock companies to run their components but the racers then change the valving. When deciding what products to use i look just as hard, or harder at the top A riders as well as pro-am riders to see what they run because they actualy buy most of their products, rarely do they actually have something given to them. I race the Pro-am class I can guarantee you that I only run what I believe in, because I am not given anything so I have no choice. When it comes down to it it is a lot of personal preference and checking account balance.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Originally posted by gnc_118@Nov 18 2003, 06:04 PM
When deciding what products to use i look just as hard, or harder at the top A riders as well as pro-am riders to see what they run because they actualy buy most of their products, rarely do they actually have something given to them.
I couldn't agree more. I'm just messing with you on the pics. Just makin sure your not one of those Axis bandwagoners'. Don't get me wrong, they make great shocks but I don't see the quality equaling the price.

·
Registered
30 Posts
why dont you both offer information about thing you actually know,not what other people use...suspension is about feel...what YOU like...what is reliable...

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Originally posted by totalvillain@Nov 18 2003, 09:06 PM
why dont you both offer information about thing you actually know,not what other people use...suspension is about feel...what YOU like...what is reliable...
I don't recall offering any info, :blah just posting pics for fun :)

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
since were talking about top riders..... a lot run elka.... like this dude for instance

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol (thats me for yall that didnt understand) :lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you are low on cash I would not waste money on works shocks, the stock shocks are a better shock but they are valved incorrectly, and adjusted to meet a broad spectrum of users. If you adjust them properly and have them revalved for your weight and riding style they will work alot better. I am getting mine at TCS because I live 5 min. away and I bought some shocks of his for my dad from Bob at magnolia and they are great in the dunes. They take everything smoother and rider fatigue is cut in half, plus they are smooth yet take the hard stuff without bottoming and make you faster at every turn.
As for the TCS rebuild, he told me it was 190 and that is for hard anadizing the body of the shocks to make them resistant to wear, revalving and new oil, but he said that the springs don't need to be replaced because the rate with the variable spring is the same as the triple rate he puts on the shocks I have for my dad's z. I believe it is a good mod because of the way his products have worked for me. If I were to buy shocks agian and had no info I would ask some friends to try their bikes and read some reviews, go to some races and figure out what works, looks cool, and is right for my budget
Plus the real reasons most people buy aftermarket shocks is because: they get them free (sponsers), they have stock shocks that are not fully adjustable and rebuildable, the stock shocks do not come with rezzies, they like the way they look, they are pro racers and need the extra cooling of the ARC type reservior and the feel of quadrate springs or they have tons of cash to burn. The yfz come with rebuildable, fully adjustable shocks with reservoirs so if you are on a budget I would recommend to look into rebuilding them instead of throwing them out. if not to ride the shock before you buy so you can see the difference don't let anyone tell you what is the best shock for you just take friendly recommendations :lol .
sorry for the long message and if anyone has the stock shocks and doesn't want to keep them throw them this way. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts