YFZ Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been through 4 base gaskets, im building up pressure some where but have no idea where. I have a 13.5:1 cp piston with a 4.4 crank, and have been running nothing but race gas(VP-112). stumped, I split cases and blew air throught every breather, oil passage in head and bottem end????? has any one else had this problem befor and what is the fix?
Thanks,Joe

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
i had a prob with the same thing. check to make sure the cases match up from side to side. Mine were off between the 2 case half's. if they are you need to file them flat. also it helps if you put a thin layer of the silicone that you bond the case half's together with on both sides of the gasket. That how the 4 that we have are and all are dry and dont have a problem. We also had to mill the heads on all the quads so that the head gaskets sealed up, and we torque the head bolts 1/8 turn past the factory settings. Let me know how it turns out or if you kneed any other help.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (climb-101 @ Feb 13 2009, 09:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=746271
i had a prob with the same thing. check to make sure the cases match up from side to side. Mine were off between the 2 case half's. if they are you need to file them flat. also it helps if you put a thin layer of the silicone that you bond the case half's together with on both sides of the gasket. That how the 4 that we have are and all are dry and dont have a problem. We also had to mill the heads on all the quads so that the head gaskets sealed up, and we torque the head bolts 1/8 turn past the factory settings. Let me know how it turns out or if you kneed any other help.[/b]
Thanks for the advice however, i've tried useing gasket sinch, and tried it dry, no help at all, i just checked the cases and they line up mint. it idles fine but when i really romp on it the gasket peans out and then blows. do you think it could be my cylinder, i have had it honed twice and it is from 2004?

·
Registered
166 Posts
By honed twice, I hope to god you mean honed and then re-Nikasil'd. If you did not replate, there lies your problem. That coating is the hard layer that your rings run over....remove it with a hone and your rings are sealing against cast aluminum...which will not hold up and will then pressurize your bottom end. I know there are some in here who are telling everyone that they can hone Nikasil, but that technology has been used for decades in Porsches and I assure you...honing it is not a good idea. It is a very thin, very hard coating...but once it is gone, it is gone until a recoating process puts it back on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OO BOY! really you can hone crome plating? there is no blue smoke coming out of the exhaust at any point of any gear, dosent that mean cylinder/rings?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Oh man, what a piece of garbage. That is the reason I would never do a parts swap without seeing the parts first, and when I buy outright, I use paypal and a credit card. Count yourself lucky Joe...if it had been this Marine you had done that too...I would be standing outside your front door the next morning.

·
Registered
946 Posts
QUOTE (RockiesYFZ @ Feb 21 2009, 04:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749137
Oh man, what a piece of garbage. That is the reason I would never do a parts swap without seeing the parts first, and when I buy outright, I use paypal and a credit card. Count yourself lucky Joe...if it had been this Marine you had done that too...I would be standing outside your front door the next morning.[/b]

Rockiesyfz vs. joedanger :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
805 Posts
Dang thats jacked up of joedanger, makes my blood boil because K&K Motor has awesome service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts