YFZ Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new to the blog. My name is Austin. I just bought a 2006 YFZ, guess that explains why I'm here lol. I know this post is long, so there's a TL,DR down at the bottom for those that don't want to read all of this.

I've got some big plans for the quad. I want to up the cc's, and do some other work for the engine. But I'm not interested in dragging it or running it on alcohol. I want a strong power increase without having to do a bunch of extra stuff other than loading it and going out for a weekend ride.

So, a buddy of mine likes to compete with me big time and just bought a 2020 raptor 700, just so he could say he's got a bigger and newer power-plant than I do. I want to be able to out run him, with a smaller engine, just to show him it's not all about the size of the motor you're packin' :D lol.

So, I'm not experienced in mechanics (outside of bolt on parts) at all but I'm ready and willing to learn and I've watched hours of youtube videos to try and figure out what I want, but lack of information brought me here to you guys. I've been looking into big bore kits and came across a stroker kit from BPracing and it's got me questioning what I want to do. I don't really know what the difference is between the two. I know the bore will increase the jug size and the stroker increases the stroke of the piston. But what I don't know is what the power difference is, if one is better for sand and trail riding over the other or if one is better for drag racing, and if the power increase is really even worth the money. I also want to upgrade the cams, the valves, the crank, and I need to know if there's a good well rounded and reliable set up that some of you have set up and used that you were impressed with. I've looked into Athena and Cylinder works big bore kits, some say Athena is better some say CW is better. I don't know. I've also looked into Kibblewhite intake and exhaust valves and a number of other things and I'm coming up with nothing. I don't know what is going to be best for what I want to do.

TL, DR: I need a good plan on an engine build that includes a big bore or stroker kit, cams, intake/exhaust valves, etc. that's going to increase the power substantially, but still trail and sand friendly. I don't want a dragster or a quad that runs exclusively on alcohol.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Stay away from bpracing. They are trash.
If you want reliable keep it stock.
A fresh top end and a well sorted head by a reputable shop will have you killing that 700.
I say new piston cylinder and send the head off. That builder will have a port/cam combo that will get you what you need

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A fresh top end and a well sorted head by a reputable shop will have you killing that 700.
I say new piston cylinder and send the head off. That builder will have a port/cam combo that will get you what you need

So no big bore kits or anything like that? Just port the head and grab a new top end kit?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I second Sheerider. I've run big bores before, good power, but not reliable if you're hard on it. My current set up is an OEM rotating assy with cams and a ported head. Runs good and is reliable.

If you plan on being hard on it often (racing, etc) that's the only way I'd go.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I second Sheerider. I've run big bores before, good power, but not reliable if you're hard on it. My current set up is an OEM rotating assy with cams and a ported head. Runs good and is reliable.

If you plan on being hard on it often (racing, etc) that's the only way I'd go.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk
Then it's settled. Saves me a lot of money too! Thanks a lot you guys. What's a rotating assembly? Is that the crank and piston?

I've been looking up ported heads. Dasa racing offers to port and polish your head for $335 and the carb for $250. Just have to tear down, disassemble your head and send it in. Have you guys had any experience with Dasa? Or should I just try and buy a ported head and keep the current one for spare?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Then it's settled. Saves me a lot of money too! Thanks a lot you guys. What's a rotating assembly? Is that the crank and piston?

I've been looking up ported heads. Dasa racing offers to port and polish your head for $335 and the carb for $250. Just have to tear down, disassemble your head and send it in. Have you guys had any experience with Dasa? Or should I just try and buy a ported head and keep the current one for spare?
I've heard mixed reviews on dasa.
And dont go with online prices. Almost never seen someone pay whats online.
Don't forget you will probably need cams too.
Bnr ocp malaska Williams tdr Baldwin to name a few
I would call a few and get some ideas. Price work time frame parts
See who you click with

·
Registered
2 Posts

Why do you say bp racing is trash?

·
Registered
2 Posts

Why do you think bp racing is trash? I'm about to have them do work to my motor. Any info would be appreciated

1 - 9 of 9 Posts