YFZ Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was rejetting last night and a few of the phillips head screws that hold clamps on were stripped. Now I'm pissed cuz I need to get them off(one is the clamp holding the carb to the airbox connector), but I don't wanna drill on something I haven't even made my first payment on yet. Any suggestions besides drilling. I's stripped really badly.

·
Registered
983 Posts
try to dremmel a slot into the bolt and then use a large flat tip. Oh yeah. invest in a full set of Phillips screw drivers. (sorry for the smart ass comment).

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 800pc snap on tool set(Perks of a brother who has a truck :rock ). I have tons of tools. I mean they were stripped from the factory. I'll get a dremel and try what you said. That will more than likely work pretty well.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Originally posted by seatec@Dec 23 2003, 11:45 AM
try to dremmel a slot into the bolt and then use a large flat tip. Oh yeah. invest in a full set of Phillips screw drivers. (sorry for the smart ass comment).
:stupid

Stripped one on my XR carb.

Got the dremel out and made it a slot screw head to get it out and replaced it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
craftsman has a tool called bolt out it has cutting teeth that surround the outside of the head .turn clockwise until teeth get a good bite , then counter clockwise . you,ll be surprised i was after trying everything on that same darn screw.
i spent 3hours messing with it. then 1/2 hour at sears and 10 seconds on the screw
you cant fit a dremel in where that screw is and you dont need too

good luck, :) :)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I had the same stripped problem, and solved it the same way - with a dremel. I have a B&D dremel, which has an attachment which allows me to remote locate the head, so I can get into very tight spaces.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I stripped mine while trying to remove it, They put the f**king thing on way to tight, So I used an easy out, and guess what it was very EASY, then I took the old screw to the dealer near me and he gave me a new screw free, So try that method.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was actually $7,800. The MSRP is $6,899.00, I bought the extended warranty($550.00), and I live in California, so taxes and licensing are expensive. I could of easily spent a grand more but I thought i got a decent deal.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by desertbound@Dec 23 2003, 10:22 PM
It was actually $7,800. The MSRP is $6,899.00, I bought the extended warranty($550.00), and I live in California, so taxes and licensing are expensive. I could of easily spent a grand more but I thought i got a decent deal.
Ya paid about right this time of the season. If ya wanted a better deal, ya'd have to wait till June,,,,
Dune now,, pay later,,, ya only live once brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I went to change the oil,, I found several skid plate bolts were cross threaded at the factory.

W.T.F????

·
Registered
25 Posts
The air filter screw is way tight from the factory, mine was and I striped it also.
Took about 2min's to remove it with a drill, replaced it with a 8-9mm? socket head screw.
Geno

·
Registered
983 Posts
Yes, i have to agree that the the band clamp bolt is very tight from the factory but with a #3 philips head you should still not strip it. My daddy always said that there is a right tool for the right job. Dont try to make a tool work if you know it dosnt fit right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts