YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to re-jet my quad today and all of a sudden was unsure if I can use the stock needle to move to clip 4 or 5, or if I HAVE a GYT-R needle or some other jet kit? I only ordered the two jets I thought I may have needed. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Lots of jetting info in the pinned jetting topic in the performance section.

The stock needle on clip 5 is about like using the GYTR needle on 3

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Yeah you CAN use the stock needle on the 5th or 6th clip but it will never really run great until you get a new needle weather it be the NVCQ or a JD needle.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so I can use hte stock needle but the specs will be a little different and it will not run as good, or spend 40 bucks just for a needle? Can I buy just a needle and not get the whole jet kit? 40 bucks for a bunch of jets I dont need, i dunno. Im going to pick up the jet I ordered, I'll let you know how it runs or if I need any help, thanks guys. This will be the first time I have jetted a quad and after reading and going to daddogs site I think I can do it.

Sorry, I know there was a lot of info in the pinned jetting specs however I did not want to read 6 pages for it.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by Clutch123@Jan 19 2004, 09:14 AM
I have my stock needle on the 5th clip and it runs alot richer!

it hardly even sputters anymore!
Hardley even sputters is not jetted right.

YFZ, you can buy just the needle, I have a brand new one here, in the Yamaha bag you can buy from me if you want.

G

·
Originally posted by Pahrump+Jan 19 2004, 09:23 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pahrump @ Jan 19 2004, 09:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Clutch123@Jan 19 2004, 09:14 AM
I have my stock needle on the 5th clip and it runs alot richer!

it hardly even sputters anymore!
Hardley even sputters is not jetted right.

YFZ, you can buy just the needle, I have a brand new one here, in the Yamaha bag you can buy from me if you want. [/b][/quote]
Why? is the yfz sposed to sputter

·
Registered
551 Posts
YFZ,
the nvcq needle or yz needle is only 21 bucks retail
run the stock needle on the 5th or 6th click(depending your mods)
until the needle comes in......
oh yea ask for a discount i paid 19 taxed

:)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The "jet needle" you're referring to is about $12. Don't confuse the jet needle with the needle jet. I'm trying to figure out what component you believe costs $40.

I have been using the stock jet needle until a week ago. I was using the stock needle through the relatively warm fall season. Now that I've changed to the YZ450F needle, the weather has also changed to snow and cold. I can't really make a lot of accurate observations because of the climate change. I do recognize my exhaust pipe glows less with the YZ450F needle. When the weather gets better in the spring, I'll check to see if the main jet I used with the stock needle is too fat now, since I may have needed to compensate for the lean stock needle with a larger main jet. Long story short: if you later choose to go with a richer needle, you may have to change your main jet from the one you used with the stock needle.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I got to the needle but am having trouble getting it out. Its not in really tight, read on daddog site it just fell out of his so I am not sure how to get it out since I cant just tip it over.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by RPyfz450@Jan 19 2004, 08:45 PM
you can push/twist the trottle to raise the slide valve while you're reaching in to grab the needle.
I am a dumbass, I can not believe I did not think of tweezers, it was still a w00ter cause I was sticking the tweezers all the way to the bottom to get to it, just found out from RP that the throttle raises it! Lol yea I am a dipw00ter when it comes to being a mechanic. Anyways thanks for your help guys, everything was easy except getting to the needle! What do you guys think of these settings, the needle was at #4 stock I moved it to 6. I am planning on running a 165m, stock pilot, 2.5 turns mixture screw. I am in Northern IL I think about 800 feet above sea level. Trey was recommending me using a 175 but I thought that was too big.

PS. Pahrump did you get my PM?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Order a 45 pilot 42 is to small!! 175 is perfect for mods K&N no lid and exhaust or baffle out.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by YFZ@Jan 19 2004, 06:09 PM

PS. Pahrump did you get my PM?
No I did not.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Originally posted by Pahrump@Jan 19 2004, 09:11 AM
Yeah you CAN use the stock needle on the 5th or 6th clip but it will never really run great until you get a new needle weather it be the NVCQ or a JD needle.
OK Pahrump, That's it, you talked me into putting my yz needle in this weekend.

I have my stock needle set on 6th clip, but I wasn't sure if the yz needle would
make that much difference.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by YFZ@Jan 20 2004, 07:16 AM
Is that true? Should I run my stock needle at 6, would that be like a GYT-R needle at 4?
This is somewhat true but not exactly.

The 6th clip is kinda like the 3 1/2 clip on the NCVQ needle but still not as good cause the overall taper is different.

You will also never have great bottom with the stock needle. The taper is much better with a different needle and helps with right off idle.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Pahrump+Jan 20 2004, 05:49 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pahrump @ Jan 20 2004, 05:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--YFZ@Jan 20 2004, 07:16 AM
Is that true? Should I run my stock needle at 6, would that be like a GYT-R needle at 4?
This is somewhat true but not exactly.

The 6th clip is kinda like the 3 1/2 clip on the NCVQ needle but still not as good cause the overall taper is different.

You will also never have great bottom with the stock needle. The taper is much better with a different needle and helps with right off idle. [/b][/quote]
Pahrump how much for the needle that you have for sale?

Well I just jetted it and put it back togethar, 165m stock pilot, 2.5 turns mixture screw, it ran pretty well, backfired a few times on teh deceleration and sometiems when I would floor it to go it would bog for a second and take off...anyone have any adjustments I should make? 45 pilot?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Sounds like the needle may be the culprit...

But a 45 pilot would not hurt either...

I have one of those also.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts