YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working with Sabe's 450 she's having a he!! of a time with the throttle being too stiff, really fatiguing on a long ride.

I've lubed the cable thinking that it might be getting bound up but that didnt help the problem. It's definitely stiffer than my cannondale's throttle, Im guessing it's the return spring on the carburator as the throttle housing spring inst that stiff.

Anyone else opting for an easier to use thumb throttle? Any suggestions?

Appreciate the help

·
Registered
38 Posts
cascade innovations extended thumb throttle. it works really well and looks trick.......what else could you ask for??

L8r

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm facing the same issue... at first my logical fix was switching to a twist throttle, but I'm not sure I will live through the adjustment period LOL. I recently competed in a cross country buddy race where you switch riders every lap, I bent a tie rod and had to finish up on my buddies 400ex with a twist throttle. It felt like a controlled disaster the entire time. I was always giving it gas when I least wanted to and it was difficult to access the front brake (which is practically all I use). I'm sure most people who switch to a twist feel alot of those same issues and just get acclimated to it but if I can manage to stick to a thumb throttle I want to.

The only things I've found are removing the spring from the throttle box up on the handlebars... most people say this gives little to no difference (but over a 2 hour race it might help). Grinding the edges of the spring in the carburetor to weaken it (this might ruin the springs integrity and cause it to fail or stick wide open... I would be very hesitant to do that). And the Cascade extended lever that Oregonshee mentioned... Their banshee/blaster model works for the YFZ (I emailed cascade and asked specifically).

Finally I've also heard that Moose racing offers a replacement thumb throttle thats alot easier to push but I haven't found any info on it... I'm currently waiting for a response from them about that. As it stands the Cascade thumb lever may be the best bet.

·
Registered
336 Posts
go with a twist, I put a twist throttle on my yfz and love it, it will take a few rides to get use to it, I have almost zero arm pump now after riding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I haven't had a problem with arm pump as of yet. I am not comfortable with a twist throttle. Doesn't appeal to me in the least.

However, I would like to solve the throttle problem. I have ridden quite a few different quads & never had this problem with them.

Someone at one time mentioned putting my old warrior throttle on. My cousin also mentioned putting on a Banshee throttle. Has anyone tried either of these?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, I wonder if FCR makes a weaker return spring? I'll get a cascade extended throttle in the meantime. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just an observation... the YFZ throttle thumb lever seems to be a tad farther from the bar than most other sport quads. I came off a Z400 and when I switched quads I found myself having to reach just a little further than I used to. This extra reach was a little tough to get used to. Now take a ladies hand,( usually smaller) , and you just intensify the problem. When your thumb has to angle down more and reach or stretch to actuate the throttle your rate of fatigue will greatly increase. Move the lever closer to the bar/grip,( less reach), and I'll wager you won't have near as much of a problem with it. You'll be able to put much more force behind it without as much effort. If you get the chance to sit on a few different brands/types of quads at the same time, ( like at a dealer), check it out. I'll bet the push isn't that different, but the reach is. Just my .02 for what it's worth. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
YFZThumpa, I once had the same kind of mind set that you have.... until I started cross country racing. I could go riding out on a dried up river for 4 hours, non stop with my friends and never feel any kind of wear and tear on the thumb or fore arm. Yet after 45 minutes of actual competition in the woods and especially on the mx course my thumb can barely take any more.

Btw I found out the info on Moose Thumb Throttles Click Controls then Thumb Throttles after you get there... also check out their Thumb Assist under controls as well.

The thumb assist doesn't look too promising... I don't want to do the throttle with my palm I just want an easier thumb throttle.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I did the same thing, roatated the thumb throttle to bring it closer to the grip. This helped out. I have removed the spring from the throttle housing at the bars too, but the effect is minimal in my opinion. JIM

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Originally posted by SoonerYFZ@Dec 29 2003, 09:10 PM
YFZThumpa, I once had the same kind of mind set that you have.... until I started cross country racing. I could go riding out on a dried up river for 4 hours, non stop with my friends and never feel any kind of wear and tear on the thumb or fore arm. Yet after 45 minutes of actual competition in the woods and especially on the mx course my thumb can barely take any more.
I was the exact same way!

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I highly recommend cascade's throttle. The stock thumb throttle uses plactic bushing and cascade's uses a ball bearing which makes it lighter plus is longers so it gives more leverage. Check it out

Good luck

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have to agree with the previous posts : Cascade lever is the BEST SOLUTION !!!

How can I say that ? here is the story :
-picked up my YFZ a few months ago : this quad really rocks but the thumb throttle is too stiff; my friend agreed with me and said it's a pain this throttle compared to the 400ex or pred500 one.
- so I went to a twist throttle : found nothing else than a quick one (about 25°) : rode 20 mn before my first accident : result : back to the thumb throttle, can not get used to twist, don't like that.
- then, trying to make it softer, I took off the spring that's inside the thumb throttle : quite no difference !
- then, I bought a 400EX thumb throttle because the design was better (I mean the lever position) : fits perfectly, perhaps a bit easier but still not the good solution
- and at least, I ordered the cascade lever and now YESSSS it really helps a lot : I can ride 3 hours without any problems !!! It's amazing how 1 inch and a ball bearing can soften it!!!! really amazing.

Believe me, if you want to soften the stock thumb throttle, buy the cascade lever, you will be very pleased with it. (plus : it's really cheap for you : for me leaving in France making it come to my house cost me 100$$ :cry !!! and I still think it was a very good buy :D !!!)

·
Registered
983 Posts
who is selling a cascade lever. found some stores on-line but they list everything BUT the lever.
Thanx

·
Registered
576 Posts
I picked up the cascade extended lever today at my local shop (the polished one with the holes in it). I'll get it put on in the next couple of days, I probably won't know how much it helps until this saturday when I go riding at a ORV park. I'll let everyone know what I find out though.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I put the cascade thumb throttle lever to the test yesterday and today (I also removed the spring in the throttle assembly and sprayed the inside of the throttle assembly pretty heavily with chain lube)... at first I didn't like it, one thing about it is that it sticks back quite a bit further than the stock one so it makes it really difficult to hold on to the grip, throttle and brake at the same time. Also, without any kind of modification it is long enough to reach the ball of your thumb. All that combined to me hurting my wrist a bit on rough terrain because I couldn't throttle and hold onto the grip tightly in rough areas very well.

When I got back from that test run I made some changes. First and most important, there is a plastic spacer between the throttle and brake assembly... I removed that and was able to slide the throttle assembly about an inch further towards the steering stem. This took care of alot of my problems with too much of the lever in my palm. Then I rotated the throttle assembly down as far as I could and still comfortably give it full throttle. That reduced how far back the lever protruded and allowed me to hold on the grip alot better while using the throttle, although its still tough to also keep a finger on the brake... maybe my fingers are just too short :)

Today I went out to a local track that has a 8 mile CC course and a really large mx track. I used to have trouble with thumb fatigue pretty quick when riding full out on a closed course and not once today did my thumb feel fatigued. I rode all afternoon (probably 8 laps or so), alot of times I did stop between laps but I did manage a 45 minute straight 3 lap (a lap includes the CC course and MX track) run without stopping and my thumb was as good as new. I certainly couldn't do that with the stock throttle lever before.

The only further thing I have thought about doing to the cascade throttle lever is trying to bend it so that I could take out even more of how it sticks so far back. That would give me better access to the front brake while still keeping my thumb on the throttle and holding the grip securely... something I struggle with in the current setup. So overall I am very happy and consider it a complete success.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just received my Cascade Thumb Throttle and I am not sure how much I like it yet. I can definately tell it is easier to use I am just not sure I am crazy about the length of it yet. I need to tinker with it a bit. So far I have only been able to ride in the snow with it. I'll let you know how I feel about it after I have ridden in regular weather for a bit.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts