YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
#394-Sticks shifting from second into first, sticks in first. Only problems

#4263-Sticks when shifting from 4 to 3rd, sticks down in 3rd.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can't remember my serial number, but know that it is under 1000. Mine too is sticking, usually in 2nd or 3rd, others are fine.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Mine is #911 and if I am in second gear it wont go to first sometimes. Sometimes it is stuck in neutral and wont go to first but will go to 2nd

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Originally posted by THE 450@Aug 19 2003, 10:28 AM
Mine is #911 and if I am in second gear it wont go to first sometimes. Sometimes it is stuck in neutral and wont go to first but will go to 2nd
Mine is like your and I'm #1021

·
Registered
197 Posts
mine has been dropping from 3rd down to 2nd, on its own and has almost thrown me off when doing so, i think i'll call yamaha tomorrow, either way if i blew my tranny tomorrow i love this bike, its supposed to be a really easy problem to fix so don't worry at all, besides no new product is released with out some minor flaws, and thats all it is a minor flaw so don't worry its going to be OOOOKKKK :O :lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
I got a ??

how many of you with the sticking gears have done the cam mod??

also how early did you change your oil and did you switch to a different kind?

How did you break it in?

There has to be a reason for this and it might not be something we all think..

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have #944 and i have noticed the gears sticking in 1st and 2nd and third, i have noticed this for a while but i havent said anything. I wonder what it is.... 8|
:stupid

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had noticed this happening but my clutch cable comes out of adjustment very easy??? seems like I have to adjust it at least twice aday

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just took my bike out last sat. and the bike would not go into 1st from 2nd. This is the first time it happened. I just started out in 2nd, rode a few feet and tried it again and I went right in. I just did the cam mod to.I don't see how that could be the problem. Sick4fitty let us know what the dealer said. The number on my bike is in the low to mid 5000's.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I took mine to my dealer ...told them I was having problems shifting from fisrst to second...it would stick in nuetral...they called yamaha...said they had that problem with the dirt bikes som they took mine down and sanded the lobe for nuetral on the shift detent...just removed a little material and polished it... coverd warrenty!!

I will have to wait till next weekend to try it out

·
Registered
102 Posts
#5054 1st and 2nd gear sticking....also the seal behind the front sprocket is leaking oil out of it. taking it to the dealer soon.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Originally posted by cjpoole1+Aug 21 2003, 10:12 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cjpoole1 @ Aug 21 2003, 10:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--THE 450@Aug 19 2003, 10:28 AM
Mine is #911 and if I am in second gear it wont go to first sometimes.  Sometimes it is stuck in neutral and wont go to first but will go to 2nd
Mine is like your and I'm #1021 [/b][/quote]
I think mine was a clutch adjustment problem. Not having shifting trouble anymore.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine is #6634 and I have had it 5 days.. havent got to ride it much but it seems to do the same as wood4you.. tried adjusting the clutch, moving the shift lever down a notch (just in case it was me) still seems to do it... Is it just me or does it seem that from 1st to 2nd is a helluva long throw on the lever????? My YZ 250 (01) shifted like a dream, and it was a very positive shift always..... sure hope to get this straightened out........ I FREAKIN LOVE THIS QUAD!!!!!
Hey WOOD4YOU, did ya get yours back yet???? let me know............... Later
Joe

p.s. will definatley take it back to dealer to fix the prob...

·
Registered
4 Posts
My son's Yfz is #1113. He has been having problems since the first day we got it with downshifting. It gets stuck in the down positon and will not come back on its on, you have to give it a little help. Mainly form 4 to 3 to 2. the dealer siad it was the spring inside and that it should eventually go away. Well it hasn't. I don't know if this is realted to what you are talking about or not but it sure has been a problem. any suggestions.
My son loves this bike would buy again even with problem having. Had it about 6 weeks.

Was having problem before cam mod, have changed oil yamaha brand

yfz450 white and red
Legacy ATV long travel a-arms
Legacy ATV Steering Stem
Legacy ATV Steering stablizer
new front and rear shocks
Gt Thunder Pipe
re jetted
Cam mod
Nerf Bars

1 - 20 of 195 Posts