YFZ Central banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a +2 steering stem be to tall for the stock cables? Seems like most of you are going with the +1.

G

·
Yes the would be too short so i would go with +2 Stainless ones like Galfers.
This will allow enough cable and greatly improve brakeing. :D

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Does anyone make sleel front brake lines that have the same layout as the original ones? ...meaning a single line to the master cylinder rather than bunching up two banjo fittings on the master cylinder and having to run an extra line up to the handle bars?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes the would be too short so i would go with +2 Stainless ones like Galfers.
This will allow enough cable and greatly improve brakeing. 
+2 height and +1 forward. stock cables. has to be re routed though. plus i used 30" bars w/cr high bend bars

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what I was looking for. Didnt want to have to get the extended cables and brake lines when I get a new stem.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
836 Posts
+2 height and +1 forward. stock cables. has to be re routed though. plus i used 30" bars w/cr high bend bars
How bout a side shot of your steering, from the plastic up. Nice setup-me likey. :D

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The stock bars have such a high rise to them, just about any aftermarket handlebar you buy will likely come out lower with a +1 stem. I just added the tallest tapered bars I could find from Renthal. Even with aftermarket bar clamps that raised 7/8", I think I'm only about 0.25" taller than stock. If I buy a steering stem, it will definitely be +2" and then I'll have the option of adding any bend bars I can find, not just the extra tall ones. The bars I bought are taller than all the "hi-bend" bars out there.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know what you mean. I went from stock bars which felt pretty good except I bent them then I put on the ATV sport Tag T2's. It was much lower even with the tag adapters.

I will tell you what I did as a work around to a 300 dollar stem. I took the stock top clamp and fliped them over then added on the tag adapters for the big bars. The only piece I had to buy was 2 longer screws to make it through the tag adapter and the stock top clamps. It is about 1" taller. You could continue to add more of the top clamps but I would imagine it would weaken the stem the more you put on.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Nice idea! I think the bolts that came with the adapters I have might have enough length to tolerate the addition of those stock clamps.

Maybe steel metric nuts is a better alternative to using the old clamps? I would think it's stronger.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Originally posted by RPyfz450@Jan 19 2004, 01:48 PM
The stock bars have such a high rise to them, just about any aftermarket handlebar you buy will likely come out lower with a +1 stem.  I just added the tallest tapered bars I could find from Renthal.  Even with aftermarket bar clamps that raised 7/8", I think I'm only about 0.25" taller than stock.  If I buy a steering stem, it will definitely be +2" and then I'll have the option of adding any bend bars I can find, not just the extra tall ones.  The bars I bought are taller than all the "hi-bend" bars out there.
I would have disagree. I went with LSR +1 and Tag 2 med bend and it was higher than stock. It snapped the clutch cable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts