YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 yfz and it will only start with the clutch in and in neutral, wont start any other way. I've replaced the neutral switch and the start circuit cutoff relay but that didn't solve the problem. Also my headlights don't work at all, and the bulbs are still good. I'm starting to wonder if I have a bigger electrical gremlin like the regulator rectifier or something, but I figure if it was going bad I would have ignition problems. It did have a kill switch on it but I removed that to see if it was the problem. I've checked everything I can find in the factory service manual but to no avail. Can anyone help? Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone have any ideas. I really have no idea where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
does it start with the clutch out and in neutral?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response, really getting frustrated here. It will only start in neutral and with the clutch in, no other way.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Do you still have the wires hooked up that run to the clutch lever? If so, the switch is probably bad. You can follow them down under the plastic and cut and splice them two wires together. Then it will start in any gear but it will also turn over without pulling the clutch in. It will lurch forward if you try to start it and you are in gear. Just remember to pull the clutch in, or put it in neutral.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
yeah, what he said ^^^ sorry i couldnt get to you sooner =P

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought about what you said about the switch being bad. I think if it was bad then I wouldn't make a difference whether or not the clutch was engaged. For example: now I can have the bike in neutral, and it will not start, but then I depress the clutch lever and it will start. Am, I thinking about this wrong?

·
Registered
23 Posts
QUOTE (ridesalem @ Mar 1 2009, 02:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=752468
I thought about what you said about the switch being bad. I think if it was bad then I wouldn't make a difference whether or not the clutch was engaged. For example: now I can have the bike in neutral, and it will not start, but then I depress the clutch lever and it will start. Am, I thinking about this wrong?[/b]

I have exactly the same problem. It started out right after I went through a mud hole, I think that one of the safety switches became waterlogged. I haven't looked at it yet, I'm assuming there are two safety switches - one for if it's in neutral, and another for if the clutch is pulled. I'm guessing that the water shorted something out in one of those two switches. Let me know if you find anything, I don't have time to look at mine at the moment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok, was checking mine out - it starts normally when the headlight switch is in the "Low" position. Then if I turn the headlight off, it needs to be in neutral with clutch pulled in to start. Possible problem with the switch itself? Bad ground somewhere? I'll be breaking out the ohm meter tonight...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweet!! I'll go check to see if mine does that right now. My head lights have stopped working, so this all could be related. I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked mine, an it doesn't matter whether or not my headlight switch is on or off, still same problem. But my headlights are not working either, so I will break out the tester sometime this week and have a look. Let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well now I have another problem, actually a recurring problem, because it happened not to long ago and now it's happening again. In addition to the previous problems, now the neutral switch is blown and I suspect that the start circuit cutoff relay is blown again too. Any ideas on what might be causing this in addition to the other stuff. I'm thinking its either in the starter switch, or the regulator/rectifier is bad. Thanks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It could be alot of things but for starters check to make sure that the black bullet connector is connected and has a good connection. It is located in the back under the seat near the battery. Are you sure that the solenoid is blown? As far as the Clutch and Neutral switch goes you can always bypass both and start the bike in any gear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll be sure to check that connection. It can't be a solenoid, because the starters on yfz's don't have a solenoid because they don't move to engage. I'm thinking its the regulator/rectifier. Which is a voltage regulator, and a converter from dc to ac for the headlights. I'm just not sure of a good way to check just the regulator/rectifier.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok, suspecting a ground problem I broke out the meter. All safety switches were good, starter motor was good, etc, and traced the problem to a disconnected jumper confirmed by CWright#26 above. Under the seat near the battery is a bullet connecter to a black wire going to a ground, mine was disconnected. I connected that bullet connector and everything works again as it should. The location of the bullet connector put a little tension on the wire, and I'm sure some spirited trail riding pulled it apart.

Thanks CWright for posting up, my problem is solved.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
so you tried what apex did?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just throwing this out there guys. I had what I thought was a crazy electrical problem. My headlights stopped working and my bike would only start in neutral. I’ve removed all the safety switches. If you would try to start the bike in gear in would just turn over without sparking/starting. Then starting the bike in neutral started having the same results as the in gear starting. The bike finally wouldn’t start at all and the positive cable connecting to the battery burnt into. I finally located the dead short. It was the hot wire going to the starter grounded out on the clutch cable. I hope this information can help someone in the future.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts