YFZ Central banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having problems with the starter ever since I bought the quad. The solenoid clicks off, the battery is good too. The last time the starter spun over it sounded just like a truck starter going out: weak, slow starts or it barely spins at all. I've taken the exhuast off, the 2 8mm bolts holding the starter in place, but it feels like somethine else is holding it in where the starter gear goes into the case. Anybody have any ideas so I can pull it out and test to see if it really is a bad starter by jumping it.

·
Premium Member
13,948 Posts
Why not remove the cover in front of the starter (2-8mm bolts) and then remove the idler gear behind the cover? It really sounds like the battery if it's not turning over quick enough....have you tried jumping the quad out with a truck/car battery to see if the starter spins normally then?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Removing the gear reduction mechanism was the first thing I did. I just got back from trying to jump it with the garden tractor battery, I would assume thats more than enough power. Nothing happened, just got some sparks and smoke. I hooked the jumpers up to the battery, and the power cable to the starter. Hooked the other ground to the rear shock. I'm thinking it has got to be the starter. I had this problem memorial day weekend, but just popped started it that weekend, problem went away on monday and hasn't happened since. I also run with the lights on all the time in case you were wondering.

·
Premium Member
13,948 Posts
Sounds like you have everything covered on the troubleshooting side of it....as far as removing it....there's and o-ring seal where the starter goes into the side case and is sometimes a bear to get the starter out because of it..you're just going to have to work at it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright I'll admit I becuase yamaha doesn't like to use a red power cable I got confused for a second and accidentally hooked things up backwards. However, I got it now with the quad battery pulled out and jumping battery to starter. The starter wouldn't spin unless i spun it with a stick, would spin for a bit while clicking and stop. Therefore my starter is shot. Anybody got one for sale?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took apart my starter tonight. The brush/wire thats connected to the starter post where the positive battery cable attaches too was shorting out. The wire was barely there, the brush was stuck in place causing nothing to happen. After a lil bit of searching on the web, found a place in California, Stockers Starters that sells rebuild kits for yamis. However, they don't have the 450 listed so I called them and they have exactly what I need, a new brush and spring(old one snapped cuz of shorting out). Ships out tonight UPS ground for $25 total. Sure beats spending major $$$ on a new starter!!! :neener:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I hate to bring up an old thread and sound like a retard, but I am having problems removing my starter. I have the pipe off, the starer unbolted and out of the gear, but I can't figure out which way to slide the starter out of the frame. If I try to back it out the oil lines are in my way. Please help. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts