YFZ Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've read a couple threads about the gearing of your sprockets and how big of a difference it can make but I'm still sort of confused. I do a lot of trail riding. From what I've understood is dropping a tooth in the front from 14 to 13 would give you more acceleration but less top speed? is this correct?

Also, what if I were to drop both? would it still equal out? what would be the benefits of doing this? would i still get the same acceleration while maintaining speed?

Like i said i do a lot of trail riding and hill climbing. what would be the best configuration?

I have a 2014 YFZ450R with FCI, HMF boric pipe, and Vortex ECU.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I put on a 15 up front and noticed my top end seemed longer right away. every gear seems to be a little bit longer but I still didn't lose my acceleration in 1st and 2nd. Now if you go a 14 up front like you said you will lose top end and your bike will be all torque. I suggest you go with the 15, I trail ride as well.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
1 tooth on the front sprocet is equal to 3 teeth on the rear.

So in theory, going up a 1 tooth in the front would be equal to dropping 3 in the rear. And vice versa.

Front sprockets are way cheaper than rear's. And rear sprockets are more of a fine tuning adjustment.

15/38 is a solid trail riding gearing. I've rode with a 15/36 for awhile now and its perfect. But my motor is built so I can pull taller gearing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So going to a 13 tooth would give me more torque but less top speed? Wouldn't that be something better for in the woods since I don't get out of 2nd or 3rd gear much?

Also are there any benefits to dropping both?

·
Super Moderator
3,149 Posts
With a 13 up front, 1st gear will be real short.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
And you will be finding yourself shifting a lot more than usual with shorter gearing. I usually aim to be able to start in 2nd gear with my gearing

·
Registered
176 Posts
13/38 is perfect for the sand dunes.... I would imagine that would be too low for trails, I would put my 14 front back on for that

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Try a 15. Even for a 3 mod bike that shouldn't been tooo much once you get the hang of it. It's nice not having to shift a lot.

·
Super Moderator
3,149 Posts
I run stock gearing and very rarely use 1st gear, we ride sand almost exclusively.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.