YFZ Central banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a YFZ450, man do I love it. I still don't have it broken in fully, but after this weekend it will be. After doing a lot of reading on here and over at bluetraxx, I've come to the conclusion that I want to take the baffles out, take the lid off my airbox and change my jets I'll be throwing a 168 main and a 45 pilot jet on there. My question is when I take the baffles out will I be able to keep intact the spark arrestor? For most people this seems silly but I live in Florida and most of the riding here is around dry trees, I don't want to setting fires. I also don't know how real of a threat it is to run without a spark arrestor. Anyone have any input?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so it's all one unit then? How big of a risk is it of setting a fire? When I used to run two stroke bikes on the same trails I never had a spark arrestor, and never had a problem. The only reason I'm concerned is that I remember reading of people having flames and sparks coming from there exhaust, and I never remember that happening on a two-stroke.

Thanks,

Bob :woo

·
Registered
551 Posts
silencer and spark arrestor are one in the same .it is inserted in the end of tailpipe part of the muffler. you need to determine if you want the performance of the removal or the safety of the sparky. you can modify the sparky a little to help the breathing while keepin intact the arrestor . take it out .the mod is obvious cut the bullet shaped end right off and break off the four turbine shaped wings(die grinder)
they swirl the exhaust and drive it through a screen mesh ..thats were the spark arresting is done .thats were most of the restriction comes from .

its completely up to you!!!

refer to any of the threads on jetting you,ll find dogriders link to simple jetting
daddog info is pure gold my 450 is setup to his specs ...runs great and very quick!!
:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of your help so far. I have one more question, if I get aftermarket exhaust do they include some type of a spark arrestor?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
551 Posts
Originally posted by mr.bobo@Jan 15 2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks for all of your help so far.  I have one more question, if I get aftermarket exhaust do they include some type of a spark arrestor?

Thanks,

Bob
they have optional silencers
they dont really .arrest the spark
call joe @ hmf engineering 216-631-6980 he has a great pipe with spark arrester
check the board he has on this site

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by mr.bobo@Jan 15 2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks for all of your help so far. I have one more question, if I get aftermarket exhaust do they include some type of a spark arrestor?

Thanks,

Bob
Some aftermarket exhausts do have an optional USFS approved spark arrestor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to the dealership yesterday and ordered the GYTR jet kit, because they didn't have the individual jets and claimed that they only sold them in packages of 5 :angry that should be in next week. When the kit comes in I'm going to remove the baffles and see how real of a threat running without a sparky is, if it's a threat of starting a fire I'm going to look into getting the GYTR pipe with a sparky screen......is that what you all would reccomend? I typically ride trails so top end isn't really as important as some more power in the low to mid range.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
bob - dont want to start any fires with that mofo .... might as well leave it all stock and leave the fast YFZ's to the big boys :lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey turp450 says just get a spark arrestor from a raptor. see his post in "tips and tricks". Also after getting the spark arrestor from the raptor drill 4 or 5 5/16" holes towards the bottom of the exhaust where the arrestor goes in, also remove the airbox lid. with these simple mods and some rejetting your yfz will go. :D

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Originally posted by YFZ450LAS@Jan 20 2004, 10:11 PM
Hey turp450 says just get a spark arrestor from a raptor. see his post in "tips and tricks". Also after getting the spark arrestor from the raptor drill 4 or 5 5/16" holes towards the bottom of the exhaust where the arrestor goes in, also remove the airbox lid. with these simple mods and some rejetting your yfz will go. :D
:stupid My buddy did this to his

·
Registered
73 Posts
keep it stock :woo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts