YFZ Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s a free mod some may find useful. A relative of the dealer where I got my YFZ let me in on this. For us who ride at the Oregon Dunes (and other places where sound checks are always around the corner), our bikes must pass the 93db level. This is no problem in stock form. But pull the spark arrester out and you’re over 100db easy. Here’s the trick. Replace the stock spark arrester with a late model Raptor spark arrester. All you need is the small, black insert but you may have to buy an entire muffler to get the part you need. I got a used muffler for around $20. The Raptor insert is close to twice the size and allows a lot more airflow for performance. And it’s just slightly louder than stock so the cops should just waive us by.

Turp450

:yfz

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I found another way to breath a little easier also. I cut the tip of my snuff off even w/ the rest of the muffler. From there, you may still need to grind a little more off of the 3 spot welds holding the inner pipe in. Then, the small inner pipe will pull out the end and you still have the spark arrester. You could stop there, but since my riding is 100% Oregon dunes, spark arresters are not required, so I removed the inner screen also by grinding the welded spots. Now it breaths better and is not too loud either.

·
Registered
37 Posts
:) hey twurp450 great info ill have to try it thanks :D :yfz

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
How do you take that black insert off and put the new one in

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you say black insert, I assume you mean the center black spark arrestor. There is a single bolt (8 mil) that is removed and the arrestor will slide out. It may be tight due to exhaust and heat and may need a little prying. You can also remove the rear chrome cap to get a little better access.

Good luck

Greg

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Thanks turp
Ray Ray Ray :nono
ur an idiot

·
Registered
114 Posts
think i would need to rejet my bike after doing this? might take the one outta my old raptor pipe til i buy my HMF.... let me know....rest of the bike is stock

1 - 9 of 9 Posts