YFZ Central banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting ready to drop the preload on my shocks. do you have to use a spanner wrench or is there an alternate method. also, where would i get a wrench like this. im not even sure if spanner is the right name of the wrench im talking about. thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes, its called a spanner. Check ebay for one. You might be able to adjust them with a straight slot s/d and a hammer. Good luck.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good lookig out, thanks for the help

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not in mine it didnt. one came with my z but not my yfz.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Originally posted by collector@Jan 14 2004, 07:11 PM
correct tool: spanner wrench
tool that works: screwdriver & hammer
agreed and have allready used the second method, however where can I get a spanner wrench that fits the YFZ shock preload locknut and adjuster? I thought the one Yamaha sells is like $35 ... is there an aftermarket provider?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
the spanner wrench works, but doesnt tighten it as much as you would with a flathead and a hammer. in sense, its not worth the money if your going to have to use a flathead anyway.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I saw a double headed one on the wall at the local Yam dealer for $15 or $18....it was a ways awa so couldn't make it clear, but wasn't over $20.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Once I got the locknut loose I was able to turn the whole coil by hand even though I had a spanner wrench. I then counted the least number of threads I needed in order to tighten the locknut (zero preload) and turned the coil by hand until it reached that point. I did use the flathead/hammer method on my YZ250 before I borrowed a spanner from a friend.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by herb@Jan 14 2004, 07:06 PM
not in mine it didnt. one came with my z but not my yfz.
yea you're right I think my Z had one but the the yfz doesn't......whoops

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I saw a double headed one on the wall at the local Yam dealer for $15 or $18....it was a ways awa so couldn't make it clear, but wasn't over $20.
I got one like that. A Motion Pro tool. Cant remember exactly how much but I think I paid about 11 bucks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts