YFZ Central banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:sup Hello gang. Nice Site by the way. I need a little guidence. Not on deciding on which new quad to by because I think I have especially since I just read the reviews on the first ride on the new TRX45R, what a dissapointment.. I am selling My Predator and going to be getting a new 450. As a first year model is thaere any common problems that are popping up among these machines. Most first year models seem to have'em. Any major issues, frame, tranny etc. Thanks.

O'Doyle Rules! :rock

·
Registered
124 Posts
ok first thing you should notice is the pipe turns a bright red, you can mostly see it in the dark. dont be alarmed it is normal. A suggestion is that when you are riding, make sure you run with the lights on. the battery has a tendency to over charge and it creates the engine to run poorly. By keeping your lights on it helps to avoid this problem. of course you can buy a kick start and remove the battery and lights.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm also thinking of buying one ... what other problems have been in occurance? Do you know if Yamaha has fixed any of these models yet?? What are the Pros and Cons of this bike?? I'm like 99.9% positive im going with the Yamaha cuz I really dont like the Honda's looks . Also Yamaha seems to have One better on everything Honda put on their new bike . Let me know . Thanks

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Originally posted by mikemike@Dec 16 2003, 05:49 PM
I just read the reviews on the first ride on the new YFZ45 INTEL.... :lol :yfz

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Ok, Best Bike ever out of all the bikes I've ridden lately!! :O :rock :O :rock (Banshee with Toomey, Raptor with full Yosh, KFX400 with White Brothers, EX400 with DG, Warrior with White Brothers.)
The only one with more top end is the Banshee.....

Yes. The bike runs hot. and after reading all the posts and asking questions it is because they are jetted lean from the factory. Easy fix while remaining stock is change the jet to 45 Pilot/165 Main. Easy fix and more info here; Dadog's Jetting guide.

I had a unique problem with the AC Regulator which kept blowing bulbs when I turned the lights on. I took it in under waranty and they changed it out and have not had a problem since.

I haven't seen any charging problems,..yet. :re

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
no major problems what so ever.. just a leaking water pump seal that was replaced under warranty.

The YFZ is jetted lean from the factory to meet emissions regulations and is very noticable at slow rpms or idle when new. A simple re-jet and the problem is solved.

·
Registered
465 Posts
where did you read the test of the honda 450???

i read a review in atv rider. it didnt really say much. the only comparison it made to the yfz was when they were comparing the hrc kit to uncorking a yfz. this is what they said: while not the machine transforming can o whoop ass that opening up a yfz450 is, the kit is still a solid addition to an already solid machine. take that statement however yall want.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw the test in one off the new issues (jan 04). I also have some inside info with one off the editors of another mag. Hush Hush now... I think I saw it in ATV Rider but I am not sure. It was one of the smaller publications. I like these better because they do not have a huge advertisement budget. What does that mean? Well you don't think that they are going to bash one of the big ones (honda, yamaha and suzuki[sort of]) when they are buying three two page adds, rear covers etc. And big aftermarket companies are buying tons off pages to display they're mods for these companies. This is one reason I bought a predator. Great reviews in the little guys mags (won the shootout between the Z400,YFZ and Pred). Anyway The testers and the writers just didn't seem as "fired up" as they did when they were testing the YFZ. I think everyone was expecting the TRX450 to surpass the 250R and they even said that it didn't. I had a 250R. Nothing special. I may hear some lip for that comment but it is my opinion. I challange anyone to ride a bone stock 1986-89 250R and then a YFZ or Predator(I say Pred because I have some seat time in it). The new machines are far superior in every way. Not won of these new gen $20,000 250R BASED machines which doesn't have one Honda part number one it. Give me 14G's to put into the YFZ and I'll spank Ya! The main thing I was looking for in the article was the mention of something with the Honda that was superior to the YFZ. Besides the seat being more comfortable (but gas tank too big, restricted movement). I couldn't find anything, not even a blurb of Honda superiority. Any way YFZ rules :rock and sorry for the long post. Can't wait to get my new YFZ insted of borrrowing one. Later. and thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
631 Posts
no problems here except being cold hearted when i haven't started it for awhile

andy

·
Registered
37 Posts
you are right about the hondas that race not having one part number on it but look at what the lobo2 frame is designed on. I hated the yfz in stock form but I put lonestar a arms on it and rear excaliber axle plus the uncorking of the motor and cam mod and I was never impressed more on a quad. Best investment I ever made.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
December 03 Dirt Wheels has Honda TRX 450 R test .. page 84

Can't wait to line up with one..now it just won't be the bike (YFZ) thats fast but the rider will have to contribute

also that black tank is going to look like a brillow pad test patch after a few days of riding it..

·
Registered
479 Posts
WoW!!!! I'm so glad to hear that! Thank God I didn't mess up! I love my 450 yammi!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Not a problem one.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Owned it 4 month now, its only been in the dunes. The 450 is a well balance machine, no problems other than the seat, it's HARD!. :uhoh

·
Registered
983 Posts
the only problem is that i had to buy all new dress shirts because of the YFZ. Why you ask? Because the damn think takes off so fast it stretched my arms. :lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts