YFZ Central banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone messed w/ lightening up the stock shocks for lighten weight riders? I backed out the clickers all the way, front & rear, compression & rebound, backed off the preload in the front, and it is better, but still am only using ~ 75% of the travel after ~ 20' flat landing jumps. (Fully dressed w/ all protective gear rider weight is ~140lbs). My thought is to put lighter weight oil in the shocks and go to a lighter weight spring, but would like to hear if any other lightweights (or trail riders) have found happiness w/ other methods (revalving, longer A-arm or swingarms). We primarily do dune riding.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I am a heavy rider and they are still way too stiff for me. Call DeRisi Racing 704-538-3512. He can re-valve them. I had him put his Pro Millinium Kit in mine and love them. Actually better than the very expensive aftermarket shock I bought this year to race with!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping to just go w/ a lighter weight oil 1st. But I need to know what weight oil is in there first, and also the N2 pressure. Last time I did my YZ250 shock, I used BelRay LT56 and it worked out great! I might try it on this ride too, but wanted suggestions from others.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Still Call DeRisi he will know what is in there and will be able to help you. Santo is a great guy to talk to!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Hey how much was it for DeRisi to revalve your shocks?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'm hoping www.Race-Tech.com will offer a do-it-yourself kit sometime soon over the winter. They told me that haven't gathered enough information about tuning the YFZ450's suspension yet as they've only done a small quantity of YFZ450s so far.

I'm sure suspension tuning is like carb tuning. If you have a good starting point, you can figure out how to go up or down from there. There's definintely a few more dimensions to susp tuning compared with carburetor tuning, but that doesn't make it brain surgery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If I were you I would call Phil at Aftershocks. He's already got four different set-ups for the stock YFZ shocks and I have tried them all. They are awesome and go from stiffer for MX to softer for XC. He will only ask you your weight and type of riding and will calculate the rest for you. I guarantee you its cheaper than DeRisi and he has far more experience than DeRisi and Race-Tech all together. By the way, Race-Tech uses the same valve design as they did ten years ago. Got to www.aftershocks.com and ask to talk to Phil.

·
Registered
503 Posts
i backed the rezzie's off 4 clicks out from stock and the rear all the way out then 1/4 turn in and it made a huge difference. i way 220 at the moment and was bottoming out. will do until i get my tcs zps triplerates in from bob.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Originally posted by Fastest1@Dec 6 2003, 06:31 AM
If I were you I would call Phil at Aftershocks. He's already got four different set-ups for the stock YFZ shocks and I have tried them all. They are awesome and go from stiffer for MX to softer for XC. He will only ask you your weight and type of riding and will calculate the rest for you. I guarantee you its cheaper than DeRisi and he has far more experience than DeRisi and Race-Tech all together. By the way, Race-Tech uses the same valve design as they did ten years ago. Got to www.aftershocks.com and ask to talk to Phil.
Dude? WTF? I'm not doggin' on Phil or "aftershocks", even if they do exist?, but why are you hatin' on Race Tech and Derisi? Obviously, Race Techs doing something right. I'm mean as long as they've been around, and I'm pretty sure everyone on hear has herd of them. As far as Derisi goes, He's been racing quads for at least 10 or 15 years and been in business for several years. Papa Wheelie, you may want to try www.derisiracing.com or better yet call Santo at (704)538-3512. O yeah, he rides a YFZ and will be racing it in the Pro class next year. You can tell him I told you to call, if you want too. You're not gonna get a better deal or better service. I'm sure he can answer some of your questions. Now, who is www.aftershocks.com and who's Phil. Again, I'm not cracking on them, but the web address you gave doesn't work. It shows it's under construction and the domain may be for sale.

Yo, Pahrump

Here's your pricing from his website;

Pricing:

Convert single rate front shocks to dual rate w/ Pro Millennium Piston kit $499.95

Call For Zero Preload Setups

Rear Pro Millennium Piston Revalve w/ aftermarket single rate spring $329.00

Rear Dual Rate Spring setup w/ Pro Millennium Valving also available Call for Pricing

Hope this helps you Papa Wheelie!

:rock

Fred J.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Thanks for the prices Fred.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Originally posted by Pahrump@Dec 6 2003, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the prices Fred.