YFZ Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is 5'7" and about 120lbs. She isn't into racing the hills at night, and it would be for sand use only. I suggested a Z400, or a yfz. She likes teh 400ex's. I think they would all be great for her, but I'm worried the YFZ might be a bit to quick. I mean, she has been riding since before I was born(26 years or so), but hasn't ridden in a few. Her last bike was a 350x and she thoguht it was to powerful for her. so what do you think I should suggest. I'm really leaning towards the Z400. Oh yeah, and her first bike was a honda 90, bored out ot a 143 on Menthanol. No suspension, and she was clocked doing 53 mph up competition hill at buttercup once when I was little. Crazy. My dad had her whole bike air brushed like the MOlly Hatchet bands album FLirtin with disaster. It was a sweet bike. I'll post some pics some day. She use to be quite the rider. I'm just glad she is wanting to get back into riding.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And you're probobally saying....." How was she closked by a radar gun in the early 80's?"

Well Tehy filmed Return of the Jedi at Buttercup. They use to have a theater/Prop in the valley faceing Comp hill. You could go there nad watch little snippets of what they had done. When it came to the scene to blow up the ship over the pit, they blew the theatre/prop up. Anyways, one of the crew had a radar gun out there and was clocking the bikes going up the hill. My mom was the fastest at teh time, and she got to hang with the crew and saw some of Return of the Jedi filmed. Cool Stuff.

·
Registered
834 Posts
So get the YFZ and leave the pea shooter and air lid box on. It will be fast, but not so much that she cant handle it.

The yfz is so light that it is easy to ride, and they really are set up for the shorter / lighter riders.

She will thank you when she decides to take out the cork and really go fast:O

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Originally posted by desertbound@Jan 12 2004, 10:54 AM
Well Tehy filmed Return of the Jedi at Buttercup. They use to have a theater/Prop in the valley faceing Comp hill. You could go there nad watch little snippets of what they had done. When it came to the scene to blow up the ship over the pit, they blew the theatre/prop up. Anyways, one of the crew had a radar gun out there and was clocking the bikes going up the hill. My mom was the fastest at teh time, and she got to hang with the crew and saw some of Return of the Jedi filmed. Cool Stuff.
As a Kid, we were there with the first Generation Family Duners... :rock

A long, long time ago, in a desert not that far away....By: Jim Bremner

I sat in the driver's seat of my Jeep with my son Jim Jr. and Dave Adams, headed deep into the Mojave Desert of southeastern California. It was a beautiful day, and the temperature was well above 90°F as we sped east along Interstate 8 .

We had heard rumors that there was a huge space ship out in the desert near Yuma, Arizona. Rumor had it that it had been built for the filming of "Return of the Jedi," the third movie of the "Star Wars Trilogy." Would we be able to see it? Could we find it with the limited information we had?

As we approached the Imperial Sand Dunes, our excitement rose to a fever pitch. We entered the Dunes area and headed for Buttercup Valley, a flat depression completely surrounded by sand dunes.

Suddenly, there it was! Big as life, looming above us in that strange and wonderful landscape. It was very easy to get to! A week later, it was gone. All that remains are the photos we took that day, and of course, "The Return of the Jedi" movie.

Today, the Imperial Sand Dunes' Buttercup Valley area is still a great off-road vehicle site and great place to visit.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a Kid, we were there with the first Generation Family Duners... 

Everyone who comes out with our camp wonders why no one ever takes our camping spot. It's becasue my family have been camping in the same spot for almost 30 years. I'm almost 25 and I know the buttercup dunes like the back of my hand. Our camp has about 15 buggies and 30 quads. My grandfather is 60 and still drives a fast ass J&J mid engine, and it goes all the way down to my 4 year old niece riding her 70. I love going to Glamis and Gordons, but Buttercup is where it's at for families. I'm glad the ped bridge is there though. I can go over to gordons at night and run the hill and watch the drags.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I say go for the yfz, just keep it stock,YEP!

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by desertbound@Jan 12 2004, 10:02 PM
What is a DVX400?
a Z400 made my artic cat w/ different plastic... and i would say Z400 or YFZ also.... but like ron_shat said..... just keep it stock...... shell get used to it

·
Registered
812 Posts
If she thought the 350x was too much power, then I wouldn't go for anything bigger than a Z400. The only way I'd go with a 400EX is if you're trying to keep it cheap, obviously you can get a great deal on one of those. I love my KFX. It's definitely not my YFZ, but it's still a great bike, besides they are more "plush" than the YFZ. I'm guessing she's not going to be doing any huge jumps.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
besides they are more "plush" than the YFZ
What do u mean by that bro? :what Just curious and wanna know what a KFX has to u has that the ol YFZ doesnt. Thanx :yfz

·
Registered
321 Posts
cool stories guys,,,,,,thats what makes it fun around here,,,,,,not the banter over the cam mod....... :uhoh

anyhow i would go with the YFZ for your mom,,,,,,she will get used to it and then has the option of upgrading with mods or leaving it stock,,,which still has plenty of duning power.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Im with woody_YFZ my brother inlaw has a KFX and it is like riding a cadillac I think the seat is made of jello. You also sit up high it's kinda comfortable, but would never trade it for my Y. Sometimes if i'm real tired and we go for a night ride I let him ride my Y and I cruise his KFX. It's like sinking in a couch after a long days work.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Originally posted by YFZdream450@Jan 14 2004, 01:37 AM
besides they are more "plush" than the YFZ
What do u mean by that bro? :what Just curious and wanna know what a KFX has to u has that the ol YFZ doesnt. Thanx :yfz
It's a lot cheaper and the shocks are softer and the seat is way softer. I own both, don't get me wrong, I never ride the KFX, but for her use, I see no reason for the YFZ.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts