YFZ Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as some of you know i run www.crashers.com.... if you haven't looked at it.. take a look..

anyhow, people "borrow" my artwork all the time... WITHOUT ASKING and most of the time i'm cool...

for example..the ITP QuadCross logo is my art and they never asked.. they just took it off my web site...

i have even seen my art on the COVER of a NOVEL.. yes, a book!

now, i found another guy that is using my art as HIS logo and even selling hats with my art on it.. even worse, he is GIVING away stickers... HELLO, i sell stickers, he is giving my art away that i make money off of..

now, let me ask you..

what should i do about it...

want more? someone asked him on HIS web site to make some stickers that copies something that someone else has made... and he said this
"no problem (except someone else did it first, copyright enfringment).'

if he knows it's illegal, then why is he stealing my art?

what should i do?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
my dad said he going to kill whoever took his grizzly if he ever found them. people do dumb things.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I wouldn't want someone stealing my hard work. I understand copyright laws have changed over the last decade or so. I'm told the artwork belongs to you if you can proove it. It doesn't have to be registered or anything like that.

·
Registered
983 Posts
i would definately put a message on your website notifiying anybody who wishes to use your artwork to contact you first and discuss the terms.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Try not to let it bother you, if you can. Some people, just don't get it. It sux that the guy is rippin off your work, but if there isn't really anything you can do about it-don't let it upset you anymore than possible. Just keep doing your thing, and karma will catch up to the dick.
Some guy has some stuff on the bay, and in his add he bags on something that I have made. Even though I've sold quite a few to guys allover, I'm not gonna spend any time or effort telling him to shut his derogatory piehole. All of the guys that have bought from me, have all been very pleased with the product and the service. That's all I care about, his opinion is just that (his opinion). Just not worth the mental.

Did you get my PM?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by seatec@Jan 29 2004, 11:46 AM
BTW. the CLick to see custom stickers link doesnt woek. GO fix it boy. J/K
i didnt' make it a link.. and i said to check it out...

i'm sure most people can type.. but i'll see if i can make it work...

the major problem with small time people stealing my art is that they usually don't have anything worth fighting over...

and i'm usually too nice of a guy to push and shove..

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
contact whomever is stealing your work and let them know how you feel. do you have your work copyrighted? i would pursue them and stop allowing them to steal your work. its more the principle rather than the obvious monetary loss.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
i say contact em, and w/e he sells that u made, u want sum of the profit or ull bring it to court :rock

·
Registered
376 Posts
On some websites that sell pictures and graphics, they have all their images copyright protected. So when someone tries to copy and paste or save them to their computer, a text box pops up and informs them that the given picture is copywrited and won't allow there action. Now since this won't keep them from "copying" them on their own with other programs by looking at your stuff, you should apply for all your work to be copyright protected. This could deter some "borrowers".

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
contact a competent attorney that specializes in copyright.. etc.. for advise and assistance in pursuing proper communication to those if you feel have profited from your art work.

·
Premium Member
11,520 Posts
let me ask you this, did you have permisson to have those 440ex and 416 ex stickers on your web site? thats like saying HONDA to me...Everyone does it, some people do it all the time and others don't care. I know its wrong, but hey some poeple have no cares...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
You can identify images as your own is to mark them in some way. The best way to deter the would-be thief is to make a visual mark on the most interesting part of the image. Marks such as your logo, your site address or even the word "sample" in either a solid or translucent color make it obvious that an image is not intended for general distribution. This graffiti style tactic works well on sites that offer artistic services, and can also help to discourage hotlinking. 8)

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Bansheebob@Jan 29 2004, 09:40 PM
You can identify images as your own is to mark them in some way. The best way to deter the would-be thief is to make a visual mark on the most interesting part of the image. Marks such as your logo, your site address or even the word "sample" in either a solid or translucent color make it obvious that an image is not intended for general distribution. This graffiti style tactic works well on sites that offer artistic services, and can also help to discourage hotlinking. 8)
:stupid i was about to say that til i read it

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Originally posted by Bansheebob@Jan 29 2004, 07:40 PM
Yeah, add a watermark to all images on your site. Also, the right click "Copyright" warning method does nothing to stop people from getting images.When you open a page all images are downloaded to the "temporary internet files" folder. Anyone can just grab them from there. Guess it would deter the inexperienced, but not many...

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
It is perfectly legal to use any image that is already on the web anywhere else on the web, as for reproduction, you would have a case. check out www.legalzoom.com that is where I went to trademark my logo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i'd kill em :disgust dirty bastards but let me ask u a qestion can i copy on and use it for the little picture to the left. i want to use one of the quad shadows

·
Registered
417 Posts
Originally posted by Amergin@Jan 30 2004, 05:21 AM

Yeah, add a watermark to all images on your site. Also, the right click "Copyright" warning method does nothing to stop people from getting images.When you open a page all images are downloaded to the "temporary internet files" folder. Anyone can just grab them from there. Guess it would deter the inexperienced, but not many...
Ditto. I've been to a lot of sites that don't allow the right click or select option (usually when I want to copy text). The "view source" works just as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts