YFZ Central banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 yfz and ive been reading reports of peoples clutch baskets exploding. now im not one that abuses or slips the clutch much, so should I keep riding or should I replace the basket with something better now?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I am not the easiest on the bike but I did have it happen to mine. It caused a bit of damage but I was pretty lucky to catch it and not have further damage. I would say if you take it easy it is probably fine, but if you start to get hard on it you are taking a big chance.

You can replace it with an earlier model clutch basket (I think pre 14?) or an aftermarket like Hinson if you're worried. My mechanic also did some small welds on the backside of the basket to make sure nothing backed out in use.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
If this was to happen can one still shift to neutral or tie clutch lever to push it back to the trailer?

·
Registered
648 Posts
If this was to happen can one still shift to neutral or tie clutch lever to push it back to the trailer?

Depends on what happens. When you let a spring loose in the clutch area there's a lot that can happen. Also depends how long you run it. Worst case just keep a small tool kit on your quad and you can remove the master link if you have an aftermarket chain.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Not that I was aware of. One minute it was working fine and the next it started making some loud metal on metal noises. Luckily I noticed and shut it down before anything too bad happened.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am not the easiest on the bike but I did have it happen to mine. It caused a bit of damage but I was pretty lucky to catch it and not have further damage. I would say if you take it easy it is probably fine, but if you start to get hard on it you are taking a big chance.

You can replace it with an earlier model clutch basket (I think pre 14?) or an aftermarket like Hinson if you're worried. My mechanic also did some small welds on the backside of the basket to make sure nothing backed out in use.
How often does this happen to people? I race MX and pretty much the only abuse the clutch takes is the holeshot. I usually don't use the clutch anywhere else. Now I'm nervous and don't really have money to dump into the clutch now.

·
Registered
648 Posts
According to the guy that works on my quad, who's been in business for 25 years and I trust, it is fairly common. I don't know exact prices but if you don't want to splurge for a Hinson basket look at getting one of the older YFZ450R baskets. I think it's 09-13 that are the good ones but not 100% sure on that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
According to the guy that works on my quad, who's been in business for 25 years and I trust, it is fairly common. I don't know exact prices but if you don't want to splurge for a Hinson basket look at getting one of the older YFZ450R baskets. I think it's 09-13 that are the good ones but not 100% sure on that.
What exactly happens? bolts back out? Crack?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
That is crazy.....I must be really lucky? 225 hours on the oem 14 clutch....
Didnt you completely replace the entire clutch components?

·
Registered
648 Posts
What exactly happens? bolts back out? Crack?

The springs in the back start singing Adele's "hello from the other side" and want out. I'm not sure if it had any impact but mine happened after I put on the Rekluse auto clutch.

Edit: I replaced with a Hinson but my guy also welded the heads of the bolts in that as he said if you're not careful they will back out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The springs in the back start singing Adele's "hello from the other side" and want out. I'm not sure if it had any impact but mine happened after I put on the Rekluse auto clutch.

Edit: I replaced with a Hinson but my guy also welded the heads of the bolts in that as he said if you're not careful they will back out.
Hahahaha I sang it as I was reading that. I will have to keep my eyes on it. Hopefully ill be lucky

·
Registered
269 Posts
I replaced with a Hinson but my guy also welded the heads of the bolts in that as he said if you're not careful they will back out.
This is the fix right here. Although I always thought this was a 2017 and newer issue. Never heard of this til the 17s came out and it seems like it's pretty common. Either way, I'm scared of that happening to mine... and I plan on getting a Hinson basket and tack welding the screws, just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Well ive been lucky too on my 18. And i dont baby it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts