YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had some trouble shifting this bike. I find that if I am riding it with the throttle pinned I can shift easy without the clutch, but I don't know if this is good on the clutch? But, when I am riding with the throttle pinned I can't shift with the clutch. It just gets stuck in 3rd, I don't know if I am not timing it right or what? What do you think?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
do not shift without using the clutch... :nono :nono :nono i am getting a hydraulic clutch shit when they are avalible.

·
Registered
625 Posts
if you want to win drag races and get holeshots you should keep doing what you are doing. The YFZ power-shifting is the best I have come across other than an over ride tranny.
Isaac

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Yeah power shifting is great on this bike, but use the clutch. Just keep on the gas, and pull in the clutch quickly shift, and then let the clutch out.

Pwer shifting with out the clutch, I'm not sure if that's good for any bike :wtf

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alot of 2 wheel riders don't use the clutch at all, I know a few racers who don't. I will try powershifting and see what happens. Thanks

·
Registered
983 Posts
I also ride a CRF450 and also shift clutchless but not before letting of the gas before i shift. If you have the RIcky Carmichael support team and resources you can afford to shift under full power without clutch but since most of us don't have that kind of support i suggest to let off the power before shifting without clutch.
When going for a hole shot you could do it but i wouldnt keep doing thoruout the race.

My .02

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just curious on how much damage is done by not using the clutch? I am new to the quad world but have raced motocross all my life, i never,never, never use the clutch when in high speed racing, just cruising around i use it though. I've never had any problems to date.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by 450brady@Aug 23 2003, 02:07 PM
Just curious on how much damage is done by not using the clutch?  I am new to the quad world but have raced motocross all my life, i never,never, never use the clutch when in high speed racing, just cruising around i use it though.  I've never had any problems to date.
I'm just like you on any toy I own.

Clutches serve (2) purposes in my world:

1. Starting out
2. Keeping the engine from stalling

Other than that, the clutch lever is simply excess weight.

I agree with letting up on the throttle just enough to allow the shift lever to move - it's a very quick process though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have also been having a problem shifting from 2nd to 3th at high speeds, I am using the clucth. It just gets stuck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
well the way i look at it is, if ya cant use a clutch go buy an old mans quad A POLARIS , cuz if u think its cool to "powershift" wait til ya ge tthe bill for the new gear box, then we will see how awsome it is then. your a discrace to all sport riders if you dont , USE THE CLUTCH!

·
Registered
625 Posts
K, well when you race some guy that knows how to shift not using the clutch and you get left behind you will think twice about it. There isnt any life to be gained in your tranny from letting off the gas and pulling in the clutch then shifting gears then letting out the clutch then getting back on the gas. If you simply back out of the throttle enough to unload the tranny then shift you arent hurting your tranny and you can still make decently quick shifts.

·
Registered
202 Posts
In race, you loose a lot of time if you need to pull the clutch. I just go off the throttle when shifting up. When shiting down when you come from a fast track into a corner, than I pull the clutch because you have to shift down several times quick.

·
Registered
85 Posts
well i dunno bout u guys, but iim smokin bigger quads with my warrior by using the clutch on the track and in the woods, but if u insist ur right i will not argue

quads smoked: 2 300exs, kfx400, mojave, blASSter, another warrior, o yea 400ex :rock :lol

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by Warrior9989@Oct 20 2003, 06:09 PM
well i dunno bout u guys, but iim smokin bigger quads with my warrior by using the clutch on the track and in the woods, but if u insist ur right i will not argue

quads smoked: 2 300exs, kfx400, mojave,    blASSter, another warrior, o yea 400ex :rock  :lol
You won't smoke me kid.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts