YFZ Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, another problem, another topic

When I stop the quad to shift into neutral before shutting it off, it's kind of a pain to shift into neutral, shift lever gets hard and it takes me a while and a steady foot to get it into neutral, but after I shut the quad off, it shifts into neutral without a problem, what could be causing this hardness of the shift lever when the motors running?

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
it doesnt wanna stop....its a yamaha thing...they wanna keep going going

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
lol, yeah, just keep riding... forever!

no, but i think that when the gears are spinning, then it is easier to hit 2nd and when it is stopped then the gears dont mesh perfectly. its normal to an extent i think.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This isn't normal though, it didn't do this before

If I had to guess the worst, I'd say bent forks, guess the least worse, bad clutch

I was riding earlier, started off in 1st, shifted into second, ran in second gear for about 3 seconds when it popped out of gear and back into neutral

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
thats normal too, lol. i have no clue, even if the clutch was bad, y would it pop out? sorry i cant help you now =(

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would have to say that your clutch is not quite fully disengaging. Got the same problem with my banshee you cant get neutral when its running.

As for the popping out of gear more than likely worn gears or bent forks.

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
maybe you shift star thing is worn out, or you just shift like a w00ter:p... next time shift like you wanna put the shifter in pieces

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do tend to shift softly when I'm just kind of cruising

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
its most likely a clutch adjustment issue.

next time you try it....give the throttle a blip as you are applying pressure to the gear lever...this will tell you if its an adjustment issue. you may need less freeplay in the clutch.

·
Registered
899 Posts
When you had your cases apart, how did the transmission look? When it was going back together, are you 100% sure it was correctly assembled?

Just thinking out loud.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everything went in like it was supposed to

·
Registered
76 Posts
How did the gears look? Did you check to see if the edges of the dogs were starting to wear and round off. I had this happen to my 310r and I ended up getting the gears machined.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
also what kinda of oil do you run?? when i went to yamalube for one change it felt as if it slipped hard and shifted harder for a bit

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (04_yfz450 @ Feb 23 2009, 10:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749820
How did the gears look? Did you check to see if the edges of the dogs were starting to wear and round off. I had this happen to my 310r and I ended up getting the gears machined.[/b]
They looked good, this started happening after I did the cam mod

QUOTE (08yfz45031 @ Feb 23 2009, 12:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749888
also what kinda of oil do you run?? when i went to yamalube for one change it felt as if it slipped hard and shifted harder for a bit[/b]
I'm using Maxima Premium 20W50, teal label

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
try belray thumper 10w40 if you get the chance

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After I break it in, I usually use this

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
belray thumper is my man... or oil i mean.. def good stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts