YFZ Central banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed after I dragged yesterday that when I was slowing down and shifting down after I shift from second into first the lever does not come back up. Then today anytime I was running the 450 hard racing around a track we have and shifted down to slow down it would stick again. Did it quite a few times, only though after I have been running it hard. Anyone else have this problem? You shift from second to first then have to shift it up a bit to get it level with the foot peg?

·
Registered
625 Posts
er ummmm, I have rodded the piss out of mine and not had anything but glowing praise for mine. I have banged it down into first pretty hard at my practice track and I havent noticed that. I am at around 15 hrs on mine so far. Do you notice any notchy feeling any other times? This one has me a little stumped. I will see if any of the bike guys have heard of this problem.
Isaac

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shifting through all the other geasr is really smooth. Everything else is fine except shifting down into first every once in a while. I changed the oil last night and will be getting some ride time on it today so maybe changing the oil fixed the prob. Thanks for the help edgerat.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rode it about 2 hours last sunday and it did stick once. On saturday I rode it about 4 hours and it stuck a lot. So maybe changing the oil did help.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am having the same problem. My shifter is sticking when I shift into first gear but it is happening all the time not only when I ride it hard. Even sitting in my garage it sticks down. I only have about 5 hours on it and the oil it still clean. I will take it to the dealer but woundered if anyone had some insight as to what the problem is.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Here is the deal with the sticking shifter. Took the YFZ into the dealer last night and the tech there looked at it and tried to lube the shaft. Did not work. He then called Yamaha direct and they told him to keep the bike, tear it down and figure out what the problem was. They thought that the detent pin or spring may have come loose or there may be a bur on the shift shaft. Even though they will have my quad for a couple of days it was great to see Yamaha take ownership of the YFZ. Definitly the opposite response I got when my Raptor one-way starter clutch went out. The dealer is also doing the cam mod for me while they have it apart.

Just thought I would let you all know if you are having this problem go have it looked at because it may be something serious.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is great news Thumper! Keep me posted, the second YFZ shifter stuck to me today! After you get yours back and you know what it was I'll be taking my YFZs to get fixed. Hopefully it is nothing serious. I am going to Silver Lake next wensday-saturday, think I'll be safe if I do not take them in and use them there?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I will post the problem as soon as I hear from them. Silver Lake is a blast. Had my Raptor up there the 4th weekend they opened this year. Pretty cold but still a good time. You will have a blast. Get some sand tires much funner.

·
Registered
210 Posts
mine has hung up a couple of times but i havent worried about it yet. keep us posted if there is a real problem.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was riding the second YFZ today(blue) and it kept sticking shifting from 4th down to 3rd. All other gears are fine. The White YFZ sticks when I shift from second into first. Hope it is not a problem!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts