YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... so, I want to drop some weight from my quad. I have a '14 YFZ-R and it feels okay when I'm riding, but it's not as nimble and flickable as I would like it to be. I know I could use titanium fasteners, but I'm not THAT desperate yet. I used to have an '06 YFZ and I went to great lengths to make it as light as I could while still having it be MX width. To this day, my '06 has been the lightest (MX width) 450 I've ever been on. I really wish I would have weighed it. And, while I realize that there are a lot of featherweight drag bikes out there, but I wouldn't really feel comfortable taking a drag bike on an MX track. Two distinct purposes. Anyway, I have my YFZ-R and I've shaved weight and then added some-- in the form of shaved fenders, Yoshi titanium pipe, and a removed airbox lid. Added weight has come in the form of Rath nerfs and a carbon fiber hood. I plan to drill holes in the stainless peg portion on my nerfs to save a little weight there, and I plan to remove any unnecessary tabs and threaded bosses from my frame. I also plan to remove my headlights and go with an LED lightbar for night riding. If anyone wants to share any tips for shedding weight, I'm all ears. Please keep any comments about hitting the gym to yourself, as I'm already at my preferred weight and don't feel that 175 pounds is excessive-- not to mention, that I'm concentrating on the quad. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
69 Posts
FCI without an airbox, Remove parking break setup, remove AIS, hiper tech 3 beadlocks, remove front and rear grab bar, remove headlight and taillight...

besides that i dont think theres much eles you can do..

·
Registered
219 Posts
carbon fiber lower motor mounts, remove coolant overflow bottle, fci with airbox might even be lighter than stock.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've already removed the parking brake setup. I don't really feel comfortable running with no airbox; at least not yet. I'd like to get an adequate setup with a pre-filter before I completely eliminate the airbox. The Hipers are a good idea. I'd like to keep the grab bar and bumper as well. The coolant overflow bottle will be coming off. Also, regarding the suggestion for an FCI, I'm actually waiting for a carbon fiber intake setup. I bought an FCI off of lilguy450 here on the forum, but the package got stolen off of my porch, so I missed out there. Oh, well. Also, 5lblmbn2009, do you know where to source the carbon fiber mounts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
219 Posts
YFZ - R / X

OR

Teixeira Technologies

Havent tried either of them yet. ive heard nothing but good things about either company though, so i would expect a good high quality product from either.

Thats too bad. ive heard of a few people having that happen. people follow the truck route and take them after the packages are left... a shame really...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the links. I knew I had seen some carbon fiber mounts before... I think I saw the ones for the Honda 450 when I was looking before. If you look on the Teixeira Tech website, they have some brake line mounts that are pretty slick. I think I might make my own, though. As far as the mounts, I may be giving Teixeira Tech a call. I've seen their stuff before. Mostly a-arms. They did a build quite a while ago, where they built a 540cc KTM powered 250R if I remember correctly. They went through all kinds of steps to make it a bruiser but keep it reliable. They cryogenically treated the crank, and all sorts of other stuff. Anyway, Thanks again for the tips and the links, and if anyone else has any info, feel free to share.

·
Registered
219 Posts
thats another good idea^ cant believe i didnt think of it i have an antigravity 8 cell and its way lighter than stock. and more cranking amps. so far so good for durability.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kansas1973, I had a lightweight battery for a little while that was from a company I don't remember... The name started with a "T" and was "something Tech"... It wasn't Trail Tech, though. I remember the battery being extremely lightweight, and gray in color. I remember it turning over the engine slowly at first and then building speed as battery temperature increased. This was one of the characteristics that the company explained. They said not to be concerned with it. Typically, like most Lithium batteries, this one would go all out until it was dead, if the machine wouldn't start for some reason. I didn't really like it, because of the slow cranking speed. It seemed like the quad took longer to start, just because of the slower cranking speed. How is your Shorai? I've heard good things about them. I just don't want to spend that kind of coin again and have another battery that I'm not impressed with.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I thought HiPers were a pound a piece? Rotating that much weight at high speeds would make a pounder feel like 5 lbs each. Wouldn't the dwt champions be a better alternative? Or something like the dwt's?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am pretty sure DWT's or the new Goldspeed rims are lighter than hipers. ive never had good luck with hipers either...

·
Registered
184 Posts
TurnTech! Boom! Found it! Yeah, I wasn't really impressed with mine. Maybe the Shorai would be better?
Like I said my shorai is in my raptor but it has no lag it just cranks the shit..I left my ignition switch on by mistake, with a normal battery I would have been praying that it would take a charge and then more than likely replacing it(I have made this same mistake before) but to my surprise it cranked the motor bike fired up.So I threw it on the charger and it recovered 100%.. I can't say enough good things about em..I believe they are like 175.00 for our yfz my raptor has a larger battery and t was like 225.. but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, so, sorry if this takes up too much space, but after a little research, this is what I've come up with...
For the factory YFZ450R battery from Yuasa, the specs are as follows:
Battery Family: Maintenance Free
Battery Type: YT7B-BS
Voltage: 12
Capacity: 6.5
Dimensions: 6" x 2 5625" x 3.6875"
Weight: 5.0 lbs.
Metric Dimensions: 150mm x 65mm x 93mm
Metric Weight: 2.3 kg
Polarity:
Acid Volume: 0.33
Amps: 0.7
C.C.A.: 120

And for the Shorai,
MODEL: LITHIUM
BATTERYDEPTH: 58MM/2.28"
WIDTH: 113MM/4.45"
HEIGHT: 89MM/3.5"
VOLTAGE: 12VA/HR PBEQ9
MAX CHARGE: 9 AMPS
CRANKING CCA: 135 AMPS
NEGATIVE TERMINAL POSITION: LEFT

So, after subjecting everyone to that, the main thing to take away from that is the CCA, which is 135 with the Shorai, as opposed to the Yuasa which puts out 120. The specs on the Shorai were for a unit on eBay that is priced at $103.76 with free shipping. Of course, there's also the benefit of the lighter weight (1.28 pounds vs 5 pounds), and the smaller battery; not to mention the environmental benefits. With these batteries, there's no lead, no acid. I've read that you can simply discharge them and dispose of them in the trash. I don't know if I would, but that's what I've read. Definitely going to snag one... If anyone else is interested, they're on eBay. Just search for LFX09L2-BS12

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
This is the one I have, a little smaller than the stock battery, but it comes with foam padding. It is so light it feels fake or like a display model. I have had no issues with it.
I run the same Battery as this one on my 09 YFZR also, absolutely no issues and it cranks over quite a bit faster than the stock Yuasa battery ever did. For some reason the Shorai website will give you the wrong battery pat number when you look up your make & model for the YFZR. the Shorai listed above is 210 CCA

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.