YFZ Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, question?

I need some advice, or tips or tricks on how to remove a foot peg bolt that broke off inside the frame while I was riding. I'm actually in the middle of rebuilding my yfz as long as I have the funds. I have removed everything from the bike now its in a million pieces. So I have a bolt in the frame that is preventing me from moving on with the build. So please guys I need some help on how to get this out. Thanks

·
Registered
858 Posts
If you don't think it's super-rusty and tough to get out, then I would use an easy-out. If it doesn't want to come out fairly easily, you don't want to break off that easy out in the hole or your screwed! If it doesn't want to come out, just keep going up in drill bit size until you can pick the threads out. This won't be hard if you use a center punch and get the hole EXACTLY in the center of the bolt.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We've tried the easy out and ended up snapping it off about 1/4 of an inch inside the frame. So not only is the bolt still in the frame, we now have an easy out in the frame too. I know it sucks and I wish I could go back and do it all over again. Any Ideas on what to do now?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll have to double check, but I am unaware that there is an opening on the back side of the foot peg hole where the bolt broke off. I could be wrong though, ill check.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We've tried the easy out and ended up snapping it off about 1/4 of an inch inside the frame. So not only is the bolt still in the frame, we now have an easy out in the frame too. I know it sucks and I wish I could go back and do it all over again. Any Ideas on what to do now?
Did you ever get the bolt out if so how? I’m going through the same issue except my cheap ass harbor freight drill bits keep breaking 30 broken so far....So I haven’t even got to the easy outs yet...tomorrow I’m gonna buy some good drill bits

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Did you ever get the bolt out if so how? I’m going through the same issue except my cheap ass harbor freight drill bits keep breaking 30 broken so far....So I haven’t even got to the easy outs yet...tomorrow I’m gonna buy some good drill bits
Are you starting small and using a cutting fluid/ lube?
Also is it a reverse thread?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I just ordered some cobalt HSS drill bits and cutting fluid I’m hoping this will help because these grade 8 bolts are a pain in the butt to drill out
Just order an extractor set. They are hardened bits and reverse thread.
Make sure you are starting with a center punch so the bit doesn't walk and get wedged and snap.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.