YFZ Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help. I was taking my yfz apart to do the cam mod. when I started to tighten the cam bolts I broke one of them off. I tightened them all in a criss cross pattern. I got to 5lbs when disaster struck. I have brand new torque wrench so I know i didnt over do it. Not one of those walmart specials either. Any suggestions on how to remove it? I have used easyouts before but with no luck.... :O :bawl

·
Registered
836 Posts
Drill it out (put grease on the drill bit-catches shavings) as close to the same diameter as the bolt as you can. Then use your easy out. Take your time and be very careful, don't want any of those drill shaving's to get down the motor. I have, in the past- take a punch and make a ding in whats left of the bolt. Make sure to put the ding, to the outside-closer to the threads. Now use a very sharp-tiny punch-to slowly tap the broken bolt in the reverse rotation. It takes a long time, but I have removed break-off's like this. Jacked situation, I don't envy you.

Hey, no more spinach for you! :nono j/k

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
where did the bolt snap??? if the head just snapped off remove all the cap bolts and remove the cam cap. then there will be a stud sticking out .... just use a pair of vice grips to clamp down on it and thread it out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bolt broke off about 1/4 inch below the surface of course. I did get lucky. I took a small flathead screwdriver put it on top of the broken peice in the hole and hit it with a hammer about five times. then about 20 minutes later it finally came out with the screwdriver.dont want to do that again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Glad you got it out.

Next time be CAREFUL!!

Buy all 4 new bolts not just one. I have seen different bolts torque different.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Originally posted by Pahrump@Dec 24 2003, 04:38 PM
Glad you got it out.

Next time be CAREFUL!!

Buy all 4 new bolts not just one. I have seen different bolts torque different.
Take this advice. Iv'e seen the same thing. ;)

I DONT RIDE FAST I JUST FLY LOW! :rock

1 - 7 of 7 Posts