YFZ Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i pu ton my PEP shocks 2day and once the bike is off the ground the steering gets VERY VERY tough.On the ground its fine. the bike has LSR standard travel +2 with PEP std trvl shocks. LSR steering stem. Everythings tight and set up propperly. i noticed that as you turn the wheel the a-arm moves up and the shock compresses. im confuessed on why the steering is getting like this. i ran these a-arms wit stock shocks and it was fine. i also ran the shocks with stock a-arms and it was also fine.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by yfzthumpa@Jan 2 2004, 01:34 AM
hmmmmmmmm
:stupid but check ur camber and caster and stuff to see if thats correct....... or maybe its ur imagination :lol

·
Registered
556 Posts
sounds like you are getting a binding condition somewhere in the tie rods. You might check where they connect to the steering shaft, and maybe out at the spindles.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Make sure the tie-rods aren't on upside down. I know someone that did this and when it was sitting on the ground it was OK but when the front end was up and the a-arms drooped the tie-rod would hit the frame rail. Can you post any pics of your set-up now?

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by LateApex@Jan 2 2004, 01:48 AM
sounds like you are getting a binding condition somewhere in the tie rods. You might check where they connect to the steering shaft, and maybe out at the spindles.
i was thinkin bout that to...... but did u get new tie rods and balljoints and stuff? cuz if u didnt........ the stock stuff mite not be made to flex that far to compensate with more travel from the shocks and arms making the tie rod ends hit the spindle or steering stem........ if they are hitting one or the other...... grind it just a little bit w/ a dremel or sumthing or get sum LT tie rod ends :rock

·
Registered
102 Posts
If I remember right the tie-rod end points down at the steering stem mounting plate and it points up at the spindle. If you flip one of these ends over you're effectively changing the length of the tie-rod and it will bind the suspension.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where the tie rodes meet the stemthe end faces downand where the tie rod meet the spindal it faces up. id post pics but dont know how 2

·
Registered
102 Posts
That sounds right. Jack the front of the quad up so the suspension is free to move. Remove the shocks but leave everything else as is. Now, lift up on the a-arms slowly and watch. Is there any particular area where the binding is the worst?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts