YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all i love my yfz but while reading up on the trx 450 i read that stock it has 42 HP. And with the HRC kit it jumps up to 47. I have a fmf ti 4 exhaust on my 450 and fmf's web site says with that pipe 36 hp. I am gettig a little scared anybody else? Don't get me wrong i have faith but 47-36 doesn't lie. Could this be wheel to motor hp differences. Somebody please let me know so i don't have a panic attack here.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I can tell you right now that a YFZ w/ a pipe, cam mod, lid off and 13:1 will outrun the TRX w/ their kit. That's just ******* racing in the sand.

Now my 467 on methanol... I'm not even think'n 'bout it. :lol

On a closed course w/ rule/regs, the best rider will win.

·
Registered
37 Posts
man I dunno what your talking about the yfz comes stock with 37 hp look at the dinos and atv rider says that the trx is either 1hp more or less they couldnt tell. plus its gonna take alot more work on the trx for mx those shocks bottom out easily cause they have less travel than the yfz. I think that honda just threw something out there so yami doesnt run away with all the profits. all I have on mine motor wise is the jetting and pipe and I outran a cannondale moto in a drag. I wouldnt let honda worry you none yet... If you wanna worry then watch what suzuki's next move.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
are you kidding?? that 47 with the HRC kit is crank hp. the 36 on FMF's dyno is RWHP. FMF's dyno #'s seem kinda low

dont worry ... as long as you can ride you will be faster in a straight line with an un-corked YFZ

·
Registered
836 Posts
Been curious about this for a while now.

Why is it, that the new Hondog is a 450 and our YFZ's are 440's? How did Humda get away with that? Do you think there was a little bit of pocket lining going on? Shet, if our bike's would have came stock at a true 450, Honda never would have had a chance...... maybe still don't.

Anyone have any insight, as to how this came about?

I do agee with the opinion, that it isn't all a hp factor. But more a combination of rider and machine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The yami was meant for pro production racing and the rules set by atvma was 440 cc limit thats why the cannondale moto is also a 440. when yami was building the yfz that was the rule but just recently that rule has been changed to the limit being 450 and honda knew that so they made theres a tru 450 .

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yah, I knew that info. - actually had heard about the new Honda before buying my YFZ. Didn't shake me at all, but maybe I'm cynical. It's just kinda fishy, that the rules were changed just before Honda unveiled their 450. No biggie, just thought with all the insiders to the industry on this forum-we might get the skinny.

"The truth is out there" Fox Mulder

·
Registered
304 Posts
fmf dynos are on waaaaaay off. their always low for every bike. if a yfz has 36 with their dyno, a trx prolly has 32. that trx is a joke, i would race it with 3 valves sticking and one of my cams not working :lol

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7@Dec 12 2003, 11:01 AM
fmf dynos are on waaaaaay off.  their always low for every bike.  if a yfz has 36 with their dyno, a trx prolly has 32.  that trx is a joke, i would race it with 3 valves sticking and one of my cams not working :lol
:lol :lol :lol

Im excited that there is some competition in the market though ... even though the specs arent as good as the YFZ, its good for the industry. I think suzuki's Z450 will top all of them in 2006 though

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Na.... I'm not worried, it's all in the Advertisement, Psychological Mythical Intelligence. This "Scared" reaction is what Honda's looking for... :nono It's going to be the Shot heard around the world, when Blue is standing on the Highest Podium... :rock
Oh wait.... We're there NOW!!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
I strongly encourage anyone planning on riding in the sand to wait and get the TRX450 - that way there's one less quad for me to worry about out there.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I heard about 1 1/2 years ago that the AMA was going to change to the 450cc limit as soon as one of the big 4 companies produced a 450 quad. Maybe they raised the limit becase the Yami and Honda are both "called" 450's and they knew about them both.

Besides, unless you're a pro level racer...10cc isn't going to make much difference. That can all be made up in rider skill unless you're racing the "Real" pros.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The 10cc difference is negated in the fact that we have 1.4 more compression points. (a better carb, better head design, more valves, more and bigger cams too)

There is a lot of junk floating around on the TRX but it will not be faster than the YFZ. Crap, their bikes even make less power.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Reckon I got no reason to kill nobody.....mmmm hmmm...

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
im kinda glad the yami is a 440. after a year or 2, the cylinder will get scratches in it, and it wil have to be bored. now, instead of having to buy a whole new cylinder or re-sleeve it(like honda will ahve to do) i can just bore it 1 or 2 over and a HC piston :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Even if the horsepower is 1-2 more at the rear wheels you are still forgetting about the suspension...

Suspension on the YFZ is better than the specs on the new Honda and also the YFZ has a lower center of gravity which means that you can not only go faster but take control of it better at higher speeds.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
37 Posts
all peps scared of the trx come to maple shade raceway next year and Ill shatter your fears. BRING EM ON.
I have so much faith in this yfz that it isnt even funny.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by selector@Dec 12 2003, 12:47 PM
I strongly encourage anyone planning on riding in the sand to wait and get the TRX450 - that way there's one less quad for me to worry about out there.
Man I heard that, I say bring them on.

Mine will be drunk soon enough and I bet I will never see the back of one unless its on the trailer going home :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts