YFZ Central banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some pics...

I put some Tag X5s on last week. Will take/post new pics in the future...

·
Registered
625 Posts
anybody get a gun on you for a run up SM? At least that is what it looks like in the first pic. And wait just a GOD DAMN minute!!! Please tell us all how you put a kicker on yours................??????? How does it work? Whats your jetting with the sparks pipe and the lid off and the YZ cam and the 13:1??????

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And wait just a GOD DAMN minute!!! :O  Please tell us all how you put a kicker on yours................??????? How does it work?
:lol

Good eye!

Let's put it this way... it starts easier now (with the higher compression) than it did with the electric starting system. Having a 4-stroke, kick-started machine confuses the hell out of everyone. I would not go back to electric start.

MOF burns ya drag'n up SM though - ouch. Fused my riding pants to my boots first day out. You've got to cut out some of the plastic on the right-rear fender to allow for a complete down-stroke of the kicker. That exposes you to the pipe and not havin a shield doesn't help either. If you look on the back side of the right-rear fender on all YFZs, you'll see a curved line. That's done at the factory as an aid in trimming plastic for the kicker.

There are some problems w/ the kicker arm not being able to return all the way in. I'm having a different pipe made to resolve this. I'll put the Sparks pipe on my wife's YFZ or sell it to someone local. I called Sparks and they (at least the guy I talked to) really didn't seem to care. That's OK, I'll buy where I'm supported.

If you go to the parts section of www.yamaha-motor.com, you can look up the starter system for the YZ450F bike. You'll need both kits #1 & #18 as well as all the other little parts on the diagram.

The plug that is currently in the hole doubles as a plug for the starter gear housing once the starter is removed.

Because the YFZ has auto-decomp, you won't need a hot start button - good. I still use the key to start the bike (or close the ignition circuit I should say), but will be removing/reworking that in the near future as well.

I'm down to about 315lbs on the machine now and am looking to loose another 5lbs or so. After that, I'm done with the weight savings effort.

·
Registered
625 Posts
What about the spacing on the kicker arm itself? Did you have to buy an extension that sticks it out far enough to clear the frame??? Also, on my Laeger 426 I used a YZ250(2 stroke) kicker so I wouldnt have that long ass kicker. Maybe that would help. Also, call up Scott at Sparks again and tell him what is happening and ask him to have Curtis call you.
Isaac

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by edgerat@Sep 8 2003, 09:06 AM
What about the spacing on the kicker arm itself?  Did you have to buy an extension that sticks it out far enough to clear the frame???  Also, on my Laeger 426 I used a YZ250(2 stroke) kicker so I wouldnt have that long ass kicker.  Maybe that would help.  Also, call up Scott at Sparks again and tell him what is happening and ask him to have Curtis call you. 
Isaac
The arm cleared the frame w/o any problems.

I think the YZ250 and YZ450 fit on different splines - I think. I'd like to know though. The arm (YZ450F) I have on now may be a touch long and hit the plastic once I have the new pipe on. If it does hit, it will be very slight and I can just trim the plastic out of the way.

Scott was the guy I talked to. :cry

·
Registered
625 Posts
call him back and yell at him a little. If the kicker wont clear the Sparks exhaust I am certain that curtis would be very interested to hear that. Considering that the largest portion of the people that are coming to him for YFZ parts are going to use the kicker.... Anyways, call him and see.
Isaac

·
Registered
333 Posts
THANK YOU!!!! please if you would be so kind post a step by step with all the nessacary part numbers!! on installing this kicker!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
ok i did a little research with the info you gave me....

here are part numbers for kit #1 and #18

Motorcycle 5TA-15601-00-00 KICK SHAFT ASSY
Motorcycle 5TA-15620-00-00 KICK CRANK ASSY

now are these the only parts ou need?? also what was the degree of difficulty and how much did this mod cost...

please help ive been looking all over the net for this mod and this is the only lead i got! thanks you ROCK!! :rock

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Here are prices from partsfish.com

Motorcycle 5TA-15601-00-00 KICK SHAFT ASSY $118.15
Motorcycle 5TA-15620-00-00 KICK CRANK ASSY $97.92

That's really not that bad, but I would also like to see a step-by-step on this before I spend the money on this upgrade, and can not complete it. :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
yes i also looked at partsfish.. and was gonna post but you beat me to it!!! thanks! :) but now are those the only two you need to buy cause i see other parts that arnt included with those two kits.. and was wondering if you need them also cause he stated that you needed other little parts also... i also agree WE NEED A STEP BY STEP!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
How did you get the stickers off your bike? :re

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by YFZ-suprfly@Sep 17 2003, 01:00 PM
mine just peeled right off...
Mine too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
8| I just looked up all of the required parts for the kicker on Riva Yam and it totaled out to $365.32 . That is is a lot of bucks to shed a few pounds. :O

·
Registered
625 Posts
That is the proposed price plus some for the kit from Yamaha. I am thinking of doing it just so I dont have use the damn electric starter that doesnt work worth crap.
ISaac

·
Registered
126 Posts
As I was told, the base kit from GYT-R will be about 200bucks, and thats before Bob's discounts. Also the Billet kick lever they use is much shorter and tucks into the plastic. May be worth waiting another month or two and save some money and have a more ideal kick arm.

My buddy is going to Glamis the Weekend of OCT 4 and will have a YFZ with the kicker on it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by edgerat@Sep 18 2003, 09:16 AM
That is the proposed price plus some for the kit from Yamaha.  I am thinking of doing it just so I dont have use the damn electric starter that doesnt work worth crap.
Just remember the bike likes to be in neutral when starting hot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts