YFZ Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the problem. The stud on the exhaust port of the head is completely ruined and cannot be repaired using a tap. It's an 05 which used an allen head bolt on the right side (looking at the head/exhaust port) and a stud on the left.

I've tried two different types of stud removers and vice grips and this thing is really stuck in there. My next option is to keep spraying it down and let the breaking agent do it's work over night and see if it helps in the morning but I doubt it'll work.

The next step would be for me to take the head completely off and have a good machinist drill the stud out, weld the hole, drill a new hole, and re-thread it. I know of no one who's capable of doing this work where I live down in Wilmington, North Carolina. Does anyone know of any other way to get this thing out of the head?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I would try spraying it and maybe welding another bolt or something first. That will probably cost you a good bit of money to do that!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said - I don't know of any good welders or machinists in the area. Another thing I'm looking into is a new head/rings/gaskets and just replace the head straight out. Anyone know of a shop with some good prices?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
if you can get 2 it give it a good whack on the end with a hammer to try to break the loc tite but man it should just come out.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i have bikes come to the shop all the time or even myself break bolts off in holes where the threads are seized in, drilling almost never works since the bit goes crooked or breaks off and if you succesfully drill a centered hole the bolt the extractors are very brittle and break easy,
the best method to date that i use to tig weld a washer to the bolt , then let t cool down, then tig weld a nut to the washer and let it cool down, while its still slightly warm but not hot enough to creat a fire spray the bolt down with a good quality penetrating oil such as seafoam then use a wrench and carefully wiggle it back and forth and try and remove it , also some itmes if the washer breaks off i will do the whole process over again but instead of using a wrench i will use an impact gun and air regulator and turn the air right down and just let the gun chug at it and they come out like butter

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you cant get it out. You can send it to me and i have a bridge port, welder and torches. before you spend the money for a new head let me give it a try. it takes some skill.

Let me know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, that's another option I'm looking at. Weld two nuts onto the stud and try it that way - worse case scenario is I break the end of the stud off and I'm right back where I started. For now I'm just going to keep spraying some penetrator in there and keep working it until I find a good welder. Just a shame that I couldn't find someone with a tap before I ruined the threads beyond repair trying to get it out. lol

Oh, and I'll try to find someone with a heat gun.. Like I said, where I live is lacking good service and there's only 1 out of every 5 mechanics who actually know anything.

·
Registered
416 Posts
if it was me.... i would not be welding and re-drilling! if you try to weld the hold in.... you risk leaving voids inside if you do not fill it in perfectly! then comes the task of finding the center of the hole you just filled in with weld, getting it center, re-drilling the weld you just placed in there, then tap it and hope it is still center.... if it was me.... and all else fails... take the head off... drill the hole/stud out, and re tap it with a over-sized/larger tap. there is no reason to be welding your head what so ever! there is no difference between the tip of your welder melting alum. or a torch warping your head. any heat put to your head should be minimal! like i said... if you cant brake it lose.... drill and re tap is your best bet

IMO...

·
Registered
236 Posts
i would agee, i wouldnt weld the hole up, just use the welder to get a hanle on broken stud. And i would also go to a 10mm stud or something like that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not bad. The stud is still completely in tact - Stud Removers/Extractors won't bite and slip and vice grips slip as well. In my opinion, I just don't have anything that will grip enough to allow me to put some torque behind this thing. So I'm basically just looking for a good welder at the moment to weld a nut onto it and it should come right out. Thanks for the help all.

·
Registered
416 Posts
im not sure about this but the stud might be reverse thread...? check with your local yamaha dealer and see if it is? you could of been tightening it... thinking you where taking it off? i cant belive that that stud is in there that tight.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Go to the hardware store and get a $20 heat gun heat it for 5min and use your vise grips to get it out. It will come out you may have to do it a few times.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hope so.. I over torqued the other stud and got it running the other day. Aside from a near dead battery, it ran awesome once it was charged back up so everythings perfect.. this stud has just GOT to come out. lol.

Thanks for all the reply's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts