YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for all you racers out there.....Why are roll design A-arms twice as much as most other after market A-arms are they really that great or is it just the name your paying for?????

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
i love my roll a arms ... i have them on my 400ex chassis with yz motor in it....
they are expensive.... but look at the price of other long travel a arms.... walsh... is around $1000... leager protrax.... they arent cheap either.... but they are all sweet.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
true lsr is cheaper...but i know they use std type ball joints.... the heim ends that roll and walsh use are supposedly stronger....however i dont know if it justifies the higer cost....

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
i agree.....

i havent used them...and we dont even sell them... but Houser seems to offer some nice products concerning long travle front ends.... i have heard they have fast service and i am pretty sure they offer some good prices for thier a arms....
like i said i havent used them for myself though... at least not yet.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
i think its all name......... u can go get laeger for 800 and theyre just as strong..... i myself, will be going w/ LSR.... they are pretty much 800 also and ellis runs them so they cant be that bad

·
Registered
625 Posts
Lets just clear a few things up here before throwing out generalizations about one companies product over another.
1. Roll Design arms are very nice but I think they should be priced the same as Walsh arms because they are pretty much the same thing. They use the same joints and those joints just happen to pack full of mud and seize mid-race(seen it happen wasnt pretty)
2. Laeger's front-end setup in the same price bracket come with spindles and a steering stem. Plus you have the bind-free setup of the heims on the Pro-Trax. IMO Pro-Trax is the only way to go if you are serious about being really fast.
3. If you are a recreational racer that races for the fun of it but needs better handling go with the LSR arms. They make very very good arms that stand up to 75% of the abuse you can throw at them. They dont handle worth a damn when you really start to push the pace though. Plus you will break LSR parts if you are an aggressive racer. There is a reason Kory and Keith get special ONE-OFF lsr parts that none of the rest of us get, you should see the parts they get compared to what the average LSR customer gets.

So, do I think Roll arms are worth the price? NO. Do I think it is highway robbery to charge 12k for a complete chassis? YES!!! Doug Roll is a nice guy that builds very high-quality stuff but he and Loren Duncan need to realize that their poop does stink and drop the price down on those chassis' they just arent worth 12k.

Isaac

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
This is another one of those things where preference comes into play. I myself have ranb a complete Roll Design LOBO chassis for three years and love it (I bought the rolling chassis 3 years ago for $8500) However my new YFZ will be getting a new Leager T-Pin front end. The reason that Doug Roll raised his prices is because he wasn't making enough money to justify making the chassis and components. He is mainly known for making dune buggy parts so him raising the prices is just a way for him to justify making them. I can not stress enough DO NOT BUY LONESTAR. They will break and you will have an extremely hard time getting any form of customer service from LSR. Besides what kind of company gives their racer a better quality product? why can't they sell what kory uses also, at least as an option.

P.S. I don't know that Kory actualy gets better stuff I am just going off what edgerat said.

·
Registered
68 Posts
well i wont ever buy roll stuff i talked with him one time it seemed is s**t didnt stink, they are alright but i wouldnt buy them, the walsh front end i have on my bike is the s**t & the swingarms are trick 2, hopefully he will get the stem done soon, the laegers is alright but i done see the need for the spindles, stock one are strong i put them up to the test at some harescrambles, the a-arms & the stock tierods are junk they went first, but im sure mark laegers stuff wont break either.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yogi,
The reason for the spindles on the pro-trax front-end is two-fold. One, that is the best way to setup a front-end for 0 bind and two they are stronger. I dont have anything against Walsh or his parts but his front-end will bind up and break in muddy riding conditions.
Isaac

·
Registered
141 Posts
Originally posted by edgerat@Nov 19 2003, 07:15 PM
Yogi,
The reason for the spindles on the pro-trax front-end is two-fold. One, that is the best way to setup a front-end for 0 bind and two they are stronger. I dont have anything against Walsh or his parts but his front-end will bind up and break in muddy riding conditions.
Isaac
i had on my list a set of either Walsh or Leagers A-arms, not a t-pin front end, just a +2 lt....are you absolutely positive that those were Walsh arms that you saw seize and break down? because i ahve never heard of this happening, let me know everyinthg you know

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I run LSR parts, and I've seen Kory's bike up close and personal. Also talked with Jack at Lonestar since he goes to the tracks all the time to race his self. The parts on Kory's YFZ are the same exact parts they sell to the public. Even talked to kory and he stated the same thing, and he had the same flaws in his a-arms that I had in mine. It has been disscussed and now fixed. From what I've heard straight from Jack at Lonestar, and Rudy from DFR is they sell the same parts to the public that they give to their racers. Now I have also seen some sweet one off parts that they give to local guys to go out and test (not the national racers....local racers) before they decide to go through with building them.......one was a set of Titanium a-arms.....super light and super trick. Looked like art work. I know LSR had problems in the past......but that's just it, the past. I have had nothing but great sucess with my LSR parts, and even when a friend of mine snapped his LSR swing arm they replaced it no questions asked.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Roll ARE expensive, but his parts are very well made and rarely break. Walsh are also very nice. I personally don't like the std type ball joints LSR and Leager use on their products. (not the pro trax) I like the spherical joints that Roll and Walsh and Janssen use. For the money, I really think the Houser and the Janssen are a nice set up. I will personally be running Roll parts because they are one of the only designs that you can get a fully adjustable Axis shock for. I was leaning toward the Walsh, but according to Rick at Axis, they can't make a lt shock with rebound adjustment for their arms. Guess that is why Walsh recommends PEP on their set up. My suggestion is to get what you can get at the best price. I get a great deal with Roll/Axis, so that is why I went with them.

Scott

·
Registered
68 Posts
Originally posted by edgerat@Nov 19 2003, 11:15 AM
Yogi,
Isaac
well i have been running walsh stuff since he started in 99, i have to say my front end has never & will never bind up, mike only makes A+ parts, on the other hand i have ran a t-pin from 93 to 99 it binded up lots of times if u are a hard rider & compress the shocks when turning they will get stuck 95% of the time, but overall i like the laegers stuff & there frame broke a lot more than walshes, i agree laegers spindles are stronger but i have still broke one!

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
little tip on the leager pro-trax: people are having problems with the spindle breaking when you use tapered bearings in the hubs

·
Registered
294 Posts
Pro Trax are awesome, they handle extremely well, butm they have too much damn upkeep. I had a set on my LSR YZ426, and I loved how it handled, but after on season, really a half of a season, the bearings were already loose. And they aren't the cheapest things in the world to rebuild either. Great idea, if money is no object, but how many of us are in that group?

Scott

·
Registered
20 Posts
My dealer just ordered a set of LSR DC-4 +2 A-arms and a set of long travel Axis shocks. Is this a good set-up? Will the Axis shock even work with the LSR A-arms?

·
Registered
42 Posts
When i get my YFZ, i am going to be getting JB RACING a-arms. I think a lot of ppl overlook JB's work and are not familiar with his quality and craftsmenship. Jody Bateman is an awesome guy and will go out of his way to help out his customers. His a-arm prices aren't outrageous either unlike some of his competitors(roll,leager,walsh,etc,etc,etc,) Even though Jody's prices are ALOT cheaper than his competitors, his quality of his products surpasses them in the long run. They are built very well and super strong. I also heard a rumor from one of my friends(they work at Jody's shop) that Jody Bateman wilkl be designing a LT a-arm setup and it will cost just as much as his regular aarms. :O :rock In the long run, I will most likely be running JB LT a-arms and TCS quadrate '0' preload shocks. :lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts