YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, first post here. I've only been a yfz450 owner for about a month now and all I have to say is this thing rips. I've been reading posts here for the last month and I can't begin to tell you how much I have learned. You have a great source of information here. Great site guys!!!!!
Now back to the question.
Do any of you have any experience with the stainless steel reusable oil filters? Good? Bad? Any input would be great. Just paid 11 bucks for an OEM filter at a Yamaha shop... :O ..don't wanna do that again.
Thanks!!
Rob

·
Registered
95 Posts
i buy mine at Parker Yamaha.. its an online deal.. they charge 4.50 a filter.. no way im going to be using a wire/ re-usable filter..... just aint going to filter as fine as paper.... do a search for parker yamaha i buy mine 6 at a time...... in fact i need some more.. better place an order.
JJ

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was checking out the Scotts Performance SS oil filters and they claim it filters down to 35 microns. 3X better than a good paper filter....
I don't always believe what I read .. just wanting too see if any of you have used one and if they really do the job.

JJ..thanks for the info, I'll have to check out Parker Yamaha then.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have the Scotts filter and it is BETTER than the paper filters. I don't know what that guy is talking about. I have run one on my Cannondale Speed for 2 race seasons in MX and now have one for my YFZ450. Well worth the money to always have a filter and one that filters down to smaller particles than the stock paper filters...IMO....JIM

·
Registered
137 Posts
they are great. THEY WILL FILTER AS WELL.

And it will save you a hell alot of money in the long run.( I change My oil before every race.) Yah I know I wouldn't have to change the filter every time but now I know I wouln't have to. :rock

·
Registered
500 Posts
Originally posted by number64@Apr 2 2004, 05:08 PM
they are great. THEY WILL FILTER AS WELL.

And it will save you a hell alot of money in the long run.( I change My oil before every race.) Yah I know I wouldn't have to change the filter every time but now I know I wouln't have to. :rock
:stupid :rock

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not only does the SCOTTS filter work 3x better, it doesn't let any of the metal particles cut through it (like the paper one) & end up flowing through the oil system over & over & over... :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANKS for the replies. Looks like I need to get a Scotts filter ordered here directly.

:rock

Rob

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a Scott's oil filter for my Raptor that I bought from mxsouth.com. We got a bunch of guys together on bluetraxx.com last year and did a group buy and got a discount. Talk to Jeff, and maybe you guys could do the same on this forum if you get at least 10 guys interested. Here are some links:

http://www.mxsouth.com/scotts/scoengoil.htm

http://www.scottsperformance.com/

·
Registered
95 Posts
... if they were so great at filtration.. than dont you think all vehicles with diesel engines and such.. like buses, semis, fleet vehicles..etc etc.. would be using "re-usable" oil fiters..ie..(wire mesh screens).......... ahh... sure they would if i did not sacrifice engine life due to lack of filtrations... this is one area i would not save a couple dollars in here and there... just go with what the manufacturer recomends.?
JJ

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Bulk buy.. That sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the scotts filter and it works great. Just because Yamaha does not say to buy it doesnt mean it is not good. Yamaha does not say to do the cam mod, or add an extended swing arm, etc. all have worked great for me. Yamaha also says the Raptor transmission and starter one way are ok, and we know that is not true. Use common sense. Get the stainless filter. It filters better, and will save you money. :blah

·
Registered
61 Posts
Plus it has a magnet inside that catches any tiny pieces of metal. I'm very happy with mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reuseable oil filter cleaning

I know this is an old thread, but i just got a 2004 YFZ450 and first thing i did is change the oil, and clean/re-oil the air filter. While doing the oil, out comes a trick looking anodized blue ss filter. I didn't know such things existed. Any advice on how to clean this before putting new oil in the machine?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts